Bode hat-trick earns dramatic win

A timely hat-trick from Nico Bode saw York record a memorable win in the men’s firsts indoor hockey fixture by 5 goals to 3

Photo: Peter Iveson

Photo: Peter Iveson

A timely hat-trick from Nico Bode saw York record a memorable win in the men’s firsts indoor hockey fixture by 5 goals to 3.

Repeating his goal haul from York’s recent BUCS Final encounter against MMU Cheshire, Bode showed great composure at crucial stages of a frenetic game to turn around a match that was headed towards defeat.

Overall York, who don’t play any other indoor hockey all year, won the event 3.5-2.5.

Trailing 3-1 with 15 minutes to play, Bode’s second and third goals after a converted Nick Latcham penalty corner saw York take the lead with only four minutes remaining.

Weathering a swathe of Lancaster attacks, York held on to their lead before Latcham scored his second penalty corner with a beautifully struck effort with the last hit of the game.

After failing to take the lead from the penalty spot in only the fourth minute, Lancaster made the breakthrough with one of the games many penalty corners, before Bode’s first, a well-placed sweep from a Billy Walsh cross, squared the tie at half-time.

The men were under pressure to deliver after the women’s firsts were held to a frustrating 1-1 draw despite dominating possession for the entire match.

Charlie Bartlett stood out as the best player on the pitch in that game, and in conjunction with defensive partner Imy Eldergill-Storm ensured Lancaster rarely troubled goalkeeper Beanie Usher.

Barlett’s marauding runs into the hosts’ half provided a plethora of chances for strikers Laura Pepper and Rachael Faustino, and ensured the hosts’ backline was constantly tested.

Eldergill-Storm’s long-range effort grabbed the lead early on, before a converted Lancaster penalty corner pegged York back before half time.

With three goals for the White Rose disallowed, including the final shot of the game, it appeared that perhaps this just wasn’t York’s day.