Audio Bullys revealed as headliners of Big D

Audio Bullys and Chase & Status will headline this years Big D, along with Reverend Soundsystem. Images: Facebook

The annual campus festival, Big D, is to be headlined by Audio Bullys and Chase & Status this year. There will also be a performance from Reverend Soundsystem, a DJ set from the indie band, Reverend and the Makers.

Derwent Vice-Chairs, Emma Warren and Flick Saunders, have confirmed that the chart topping acts will play at this year’s event, which will also have a ‘SinneD’ theme. Little D, the afternoon part of the festival, will also return for its second year, following last year’s success.

The event attracts students from all colleges across campus, with last year’s tickets selling out in record time, within 45 minutes.

Warren and Saunders revealed that plans for both Big D, and its sister event, Little D, are well underway, stating, “We are so excited for this year’s Big D, last year’s WonDerland was really incredible, and this year we are working with a passionate committee, and a great theme, to make it even bigger and better than ever!”

‘SinneD’ will be based around the seven deadly sins, with each sin characterising the seven different areas of entertainment across campus. The event will be spread across Derwent and Langwith, including the external space between them. There will be two main areas for the live acts, as well as a DJ in The Courtyard.

Audio Bullys reached number three in the UK singles chart in 2005, with their single, ‘Shot You Down’ which sampled Nancy Sinatra’s version of the song, ‘Bang, Bang (my baby shot me down)’. Their 2003 single, ‘We Don’t Care,’ was also in the UK singles charts’ top 20.

Electronic Production Duo Chase & Status have also had chart success, with three of their singles debuting at number one in the UK Dance Chart. Their most recent success was the entering of their single ‘End Credits’, featuring rapper Plan B, at number nine in the UK singles chart in November 2009.

Chase & Status will be performing live at Glastonbury, a few days prior to their set at York. They will also be performing at V Festival later on in the summer.

As well as the exciting music line up, guests will have the opportunity to enjoy fairground style attractions, including an inflatable human football table.

Big D organisers have worked hard to ensure that everyone gets a chance to enjoy the festivities, targeting Little D, which will be held on the same day as Big D in the afternoon, specifically at those with exams, or those unable to get a ticket for Big D. Little D, set out as a self-styled Victorian Fête, will feature food stalls, games and society performances.

Warren and Saunders stated that they are “confident that in creating ‘SinneD’ and Little D we have managed to provide something for everyone to enjoy” and that they “can’t wait to see everyone there!”.

As usual, Big D will be a charity event, with the money raised going to the charities Hope House, EducAid, RAG, and the Ron Weir Memorial Fund – charities chosen by Derwent College members.

Last year, just under £7,000 was raised for the charities Teenage Cancer Trust and York and District Mind, as well as for campus charity RAG and the Ron Weir Memorial Fund.

A launch party for ‘SinneD’ will take place on Thursday night, Week Three, at the Pitcher and Piano in York, where the first 100 guests through the door will be able to secure a Big D ticket a day before they go on sale.

Tickets will go on sale to all other students from midday on the Friday of Week Three, from www.yusu.org/shop­

1. Amazing lineup.

THE BIG D TRAILER WILL BE UP ON YOUTUBE AND NOUSE TOMORROW.

2. linky linky fail fail. it’s all thru yusu.org/shop now.

3. 4 May ’10 at 6:12 pm

lucius malfoy

good lineup!!!

4. 4 May ’10 at 6:14 pm

Dominic Scott

chase and status… epic win.

5. 4 May ’10 at 6:16 pm

edd "party" hardy (damage)

i am totally excited for chase and status for some sweet d&b. MASSIVE.

6. I’m playing too.

Look at my FANPAGE on Facebook.

7. 4 May ’10 at 6:44 pm

Alastair Matheson

As a completely impartial observer, I think this will be the best Big D ever. The outdoor attractions will be particularly marvellous. Srsly sick line up guys x

8. 4 May ’10 at 9:08 pm

Barnaby 'Trick' Francis

biggup!

9. As yet another completely impartial observer, ahem, I have to say it looks like Big D is going to be MASSIVE once again!

Audio Bullies better play ‘We Don’t Care’. Proper LAD tune that. Love the line up and can’t wait to bow in a blaze of glory! Love it.

10. 4 May ’10 at 9:15 pm

Nancy Sinatra

I love it! x.

11. All over it like a bad rash.

12. 5 May ’10 at 9:22 pm

Luke Skywalker

Chase and Status are such a win, it’s beats N-Dubz any day.

13. Glad to see some serious acts instead of the usual cheese garbage this university seems to love.

Me Judy and I love a bit of Drum and Bass, when we’re not presenting our mediocre talk show or running the nations biggest book club.