Double defeat for York in Water Polo

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

York Men’s Water Polo 10-19 Lancaster
York Women’s Water Polo 1-4 Lancaster

It was double disappointment for York in the water polo on Saturday at Roses as both the men’s and women’s squads came up short despite performing wholeheartedly.

The women’s team can take particular pride in their efforts; producing what they afterwards described as some of the best polo they had ever played against a strong Lancaster side that was predicted to claim an easy victory. York confounded these expectations and the result hung in the balance for large periods, the hosts clinging on to a slender 2-1 advantage, Tharaki Siyaguna’s goal having given them a fighting chance.

Ultimately, York’s desperate all-out attacks in the closing stages saw them concede two late goals on the counter, making the score line a somewhat inaccurate reflection of the game. Although they will rue not making their late pressure tell, York can take huge pride in their display, especially in defence with goalkeeper Cass Walker making a number of crucial saves.

In a far more open men’s encounter, a depleted York battled hard but all too often left themselves open at the back, exposing stand in goalkeeper Johnny Jackson to some clinical Lancastrian finishing. The home side, who arrived poolside sporting hooded black robes, were able to rotate a squad which boasted seven substitutes as opposed to York’s one making fatigue was a significant factor. The visitors consequently often struggled to summon up the energy to get back and defend, failing to adequately block a number of shots as the game wore on, a flurry of Lancastrian goals either side of half time putting the result beyond doubt.

Captain Arran Bowen-la Grange was nonetheless pleased with the way his side had attacked during the contest, leading the way himself with a well taken hat trick. Thanos Matzanas and Duncan Eggleston also impressed going forward although the later was guilty of a costly missed penalty. Bowen-la Grange mused afterwards that ‘you should not score 10 goals in a water polo match and lose’ but was appreciative of the valiant efforts put in by both sides in the face of the numerical disadvantages which have effected so many York sides throughout the weekend.