McIlwraith’s boys cap off season with fighting draw

Photo: Sam Newsome

Photo: Sam Newsome

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN’S HOCKEY FIRSTS 2
UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN’S HOCKEY FIRSTS 2

A spirited revival from York allowed them to come back from two goals down to draw 2-2 in the centrepiece of yesterday’s events on the Astro. In weather that produced an extremely slippery playing surface it wasn’t easy for either side to find their rhythm and perhaps the Man of the Match was Lancaster’s keeper who produced a string of fine saves, including one from a penalty flick from Andy Harris, to deny York on a number of occasions.

With the big man upstairs clearly not happy about the way Roses was panning out, he decided to punish all involved with a deluge that hasn’t been seen since the days of Noah.

It was Lancaster who adapted best to the conditions and they found themselves 2-0 up just after the break. To the delight of the York spectators the day’s goal scoring was not over and goals from James Branton and Nick Latcham meant Andy McIlwraith’s side ended their successful season on a high with a share of the Roses spoils.

It could have been even better had Andy Harris been able to convert a penalty flick, awarded for a foot on the line, but with the playing surface sodden Harris was unable to get the elevation required to beat Lancaster’s man between the posts.

McIlwraith was full of praise for his side after the game, many of whom played their last games for the White Rose today; “It’s been a strong season, we achieved everything we aimed for. It was a good game, we played well and at times dominated. I’m very proud of the lads, it’s been a pleasure to captain them this season”