York crushed in Women’s Football

York were no match for Lancaster in today’s women’s football encounter, the Red Rose romping to a 5-0 win

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER 5
UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0

A weakened York team were simply overpowered by determined Lancaster in the women’s football on Saturday, as a hat-trick from AU President Sue Wynes delivered a 5-0 victory.

As the heavens unleashed a Lancastrian monsoon on the poor souls assembled on the football pitches, Wynes struck with a devastating quick-fire triple in the last 20 minutes to sink opponents who had shown commendable heart. Thrice she was set three by a defence-splitting pass and thrice she bamboozled York goalkeeper Annalie Schutz before squeezing the ball home.

But York had been wounded much earlier, as their pumped opponents struck twice within the opening four minutes. It took just ninety seconds to break the deadlock, the sprightly Emma Leahey outpacing Carey Kalym on the fringes of the penalty area and producing a fine finish across Schutz and into the far corner. Two minutes later, from their first set-piece opportunity, the lead was doubled as Carli Hoyle, unmarked, lashed the ball home.

A first-half of one-way traffic was illuminated by a personal battle between Schutz and Wynes, with the goalkeeper denying her nemesis on no less than six occasions. York defended fairly well for long spells, but it was the stopper who kept this from becoming a double figures pounding.

York had very little going forward, the sum of their efforts a couple of tame half-chances late in the second period. In midfield, Katy Ballentyne showed some imagination, but the forward line never seemed to locate any space and her passes were easily picked off. Emily Scott, York’s only substitute who had sprinted over from a hockey match, barely touched the ball in her half-an-hour cameo.

And so Lancaster’s three-year unbeaten record remained intact in the pouring rain, with the Red Rose collecting four points with consummate ease.

1. 1 May ’10 at 9:38 pm

Rachel Fernley

“bamboozled”… that just made me laugh out loud!