Men’s football thirds fall to Lancaster select

Photo: Peter Iveson

Photo: Peter Iveson

YORK MENS FOOTBALL THIRDS 1
LANCASTER COLLEGE SELECT 2

The men’s football thirds went down to the Lancaster College Football’s juggernaut by two goals to one in a highly physical encounter on Roses Saturday.

The curtain raiser to the Saturday football was bathed in sunshine for the whole game but York, playing a 4-5-1 with Parris Williams as the lone striker, failed to set the game alight, with Lancaster’s physicality, and significant height advantage, telling from the off. With York often struggling to create any real openings and being pinned inside their own half they had Goalkeeper Mike Wynd to thank for keeping them in the game for making three key saves, the pick of which being a reaching save low to his right tip the ball round the post after two consecutive Lancaster shots had hit the woodwork.

York carved out their first real opening on 40 minutes – Angus O’Brien and Ali Laird combining brilliantly on the left hand side for the former to send in a volleyed cross that evaded a stretching Williams by inches. A goal there could have seen York take an unexpected lead into half time; instead they were hit by a suckerpunch own goal minutes later, the ball driven across the area from only yards out, finding the sliding leg of a York defender to trickle across the line.

An almost identical scenario led to the second and decisive Lancaster goal just after the restart – a low stinging shot from just inside the right-edge of the area was excellently saved by Wynd, but the ricochet would loop over him off a York body to find the net.

With Williams often outmuscled by a physical Lancaster back line, Udy Onwudike was sent on to give York a like-for like physical presence in attack, but two goals that late in the day would have been optimistic for York. Ali Laird did pull one back for the White Rose after 86 minutes, showing predatory instinct to smash home a rebound, while Miles McDermott nearly produced a spectacular equaliser after seeing his 90th minute free-kick miss by a matter of inches. Yet for all the late effort, it was a deserved win for the physical Lancaster-side who now have the psychological edge going into the men’s firsts and seconds games later today.