Football seconds consigned to unfortunate defeat

Jack Beadle in action during a BUCS game earlier this season. The Halifax player had York's best chance of the second period

UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER SECONDS 3
UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 1

Two late strikes from Lancaster men’s football seconds consigned York to a harsh defeat, with the game itself played in atrocious weather conditions for the full ninety minutes.

With captain Ben Smith in a bullish mood before the game and singling out Joe Cooper as the York player who could be crucial, all the signs pre-game pointed to York being the better prepared and the side with far more confidence than their counterparts. But as is so common with Roses, the script doesn’t always go to plan and Lancaster stunned York within the first five minutes. A driven corner from the right hand side was missed by the York back line and was able to be driven in, stranding Tim Green in the York net.

Yet from then on it was all York – full-back Tommy Smith had a chance to level moments later from a corner but skewed wide, while Jack Beadle was being a constant menace on the right wing. York would go into the break a goal behind, but Lancaster was struggling to contain them.

The total dominance that York had over the game finally had something to show for it within five minutes of the restart. With Joe Cooper springing the offside trap, the leading scorer in all of York University Football showed exactly why Captain Smith had picked him out, chipping the ball over the oncoming Lancaster stopper with a deft touch worthy of leveling any game.

The goal only tightened York’s grip on the game and with relentless pressure on Lancaster they searched for a winner, with Cooper again coming close, beating the keeper, but his shot drifted agonizingly into the side netting.

The best chance of the second-half fell to Jack Beadle, the diminutive winger thumping one onto the cross bar from the edge of the area after a cleared corner. If Beadle’s shot had found the net, York would have undoubtedly closed the game out – instead they found themselves behind minutes later. A long punt into the York area found Lancaster skipper Jack Griffiths in the air, whose well-directed header to the bottom left corner gave Tim Green little chance – amazingly, it was Lancaster’s first shot on goal in the second-half. With the third Lancaster goal scored minutes later after York lost the ball at the back, the game was all but over and York were dejected at the final whistle.

On a different day, York, who played far better football than their often physical opponents, could have eased home to win this game, but Lancaster should be given credit for taking their chances and grabbing the points.