Bartlett injury mars competitive draw

A nasty injury to Charlie Bartlett overshadowed an entertaining, high scoring draw in the women’s firsts hockey fixture earlier today

Photo: Sam Newsome

Photo: Sam Newsome

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 3
UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER FIRSTS 3

A nasty injury to Charlie Bartlett overshadowed an entertaining, high scoring draw earlier today. In a day dominated by draws on the Astro, both sides would have been content with the outcome; Lancaster because they were under the cosh for large portions of the game and York because traditionally this is a fixture they struggle in.

In the driving rain York found themselves ahead through Rachel Faustino, before Lancaster leveled arrears. Emily Lucas then restored the White Rose’s advantage before Faustino scored her second and appeared to settle the tie.

Unfortunately Bartlett was then struck above her left eye and after being taken off the pitch and on to hospital, York appeared to lose their way. Two late goals from the hosts ensured both sides gained a share of the spoils.

The game was a scrappy affair, perhaps because of the unsuitable conditions, but Faustino enjoyed a particularly good game, as did Andrea Pisesky in the middle of the park. It is fair to say that after Bartlett’s injury York appeared extremely shaken, without her at the back marshalling her side the defence was perhaps more porous. Yet to suggest her absence alone allowed Lancaster back into the game would be unfair to the home side who rallied in the last twenty minutes and probably deserved a draw.

As for York they can be proud of their efforts, something demonstrated by Club President Sophie Hossack who commented that she was “thrilled with the performance and dedication of everyone today”. The result caps a good season for York who have enjoyed a positive campaign this time around.