London’s tribute: Alexander McQueen

A few short weeks ago I flicked through Grazia’s weekly fashion spread and outwardly admired Alexander McQueen’s armadillo shoes – they were the future. Innovative designing combined with a real dedication to tailoring meant that McQueen would undoubtedly be remembered as a great icon for British fashion. However, to the shock of the fashion world, his legacy was cut tragically short.

While the mix of industry insiders, models and bloggers gathered at London Fashion Week, the excitement for the upcoming shows coincided with the poignancy of the large tribute wall which stretched across the room inside the BFS catwalk. Messages of love, respect and sadness were layered upon each other, and the one minute silence led by Harold Tillman meant that the normally busy, frantic atmosphere stilled to remember a genius. All thoughts returned to what truly mattered – the loss of a British designer who had contributed enormously to the London design scene.

McQueen was not only a designer but an inspiration. Even from the outset of his career, he was perceived as a ‘’rebel’’ and a designer who broke the mould. Taking inspiration from music and eclectic London individuals, McQueen produced pieces that were never boring or dated. With many designers, it is easy to pinpoint career highlights, but McQueen’s were numerous – he won British Designer of the Year four times. His shows always made you wish you were there to witness the many twists and turns that would surprise the front row, whether it be caged wolves or an eerie hologram of Kate Moss.

Alexander McQueen’s designs are examples of why fashion becomes a part of life, why clothes are looked at in years to come and loved, and why catwalk shows are so spectacular. All thoughts are with those that knew him best, and there is no doubt he will be sorely missed.