Up and coming events

Constructing a new world Johnston: Drawing a shadow

If you have not already had chance to visit Tate Modern’s latest exhibition, the time is now. ‘Constructing a New World’, this showcases the work of a Dutch pioneer of the De Stijl movement, Theo van Doesburg, as well as an extensive collection of 20th century avant garde art. Co- curated by York fellow, Michael White, of the History of Art department, the show boasts over 350 pieces, many of which have never before been exhibited in the UK. Featured artists include figures as influential as Constantin Brancusi, László Moholy-Nagy, Piet Mondrian and Francis Picabia, but it is the star of the show, Van Doesburg, described as ‘the coolest cat in 20th century art,’ who steals it.

‘Constructing a New World’ runs at Tate Modern London, until 16 May.

Three Sisters

Don’t miss the York Settlement Players’ performance of Anton Chekhov’s Three Sisters, at the Theatre Royal this week. At the dawn of a new era, three sisters are exiled to a provincial backwater long to return to Moscow and its vibrant culture. But as time passes, dreams fade, and the meaning they so desperately seek slips away. Directed by Helen Wilson, following Michael Frayn’s interpretation, the play runs until 20 March.

Peter Randall-Page

Until 11 April, the Underground Gallery at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, will be home to an awe -inspiring exhibition of works by Sculptor Peter Randall-Page. The show explores the artist’s fascination with the complex relationship between geometry and biology: the patterns and sequences vital to the emergence of life. Randall-Page carves striking patterns on the surfaces of found glacial boulders and sourced stone such as marble, granite and Kilkenny limestones.

The show consists of around 100 works across four rooms extending outdoors into the park itself.

Robert Mapplethorpe

Sheffield’s Graves Gallery celebrates the life of photographer Robert Mapplethorpe this month with a retrospective of his works from the 1970s and 1980s. Works include career-spanning self portraits and iconic photographs of Andy Warhol, Truman Capote and Marianne Faithfull. Mapplethorpe produced some of the most striking images of the late 20th century, garnering fame and notoriety in equal measure for the often controversial nature of his photographs. The Gallery welcomes special guest Patti Smith for a musical performance on 23 March to coincide with the release of her biography ‘Just Kids’ documenting her youth spent with Mapplethorpe.

The exhibition is free and remains on display until 27 March.

From Left: Three sisters rehersals, copyright; Mike Oakes. ‘Fructus Corpus’ and ‘in mind of monk’ both by Peter Randall-Page, copyright; YSP/Jonty Wilde.