Political Edge

Sarah Palin became a laughing stock in 2008 after her nomination as Vice-President

SARAH PALIN became a laughing stock in 2008 after her nomination as Vice-President. However in recent months, speculation has been mounting as to whether she might seek the Republican nomination in 2012.

In July 2009, she announced that she would stepping down as Governor of Alaska hinting towards the possibility of candidacy quoting General Douglas Mac Arthur she said: “We are not retreating; we are advancing in another direction.”

With President Barack Obama becoming increasingly unpopular, it looks likely that there will be a Republican backlash in 2012, and a President Palin is a disturbing possibility. If elected, Palin would be the first female President of the United States. This would be a historic moment for women around the world, but in actuality Palin couldn’t be a much more conservative candidate. Rather than a leap forward a President Palin presents the possibility of several steps backwards.

It is difficult to establish just what exactly a Palin presidency would look like. It is likely that spin doctors and advisors would take a leading role. However, I personally wouldn’t feel safe knowing that someone who prides themself as being a “pitbull with lipstick” had control over one of the world’s largest nuclear arsenals.

Rather than a leap forward, a President Palin presents the possibility of several steps backwards

If Palin is to be the next President, I believe that we would see a souring of international relations between the US and many other countries. Palin may have to deal with difficult foreign policy situations, in particular the growing nuclear threat from Iran. In 2008, Palin was aggressive about Iran’s nuclear programme, saying: “Let there be no doubt: I will always keep the threat of military action on the table to defend our security and our ally Israel.” Threatening military action is a hardline stance, however Iran is unlikely to back down and ultimately we could see military action. A conflict in the middle east only serves to destabilize the region further and create more potential threats to western states.

In 2012, I would like to see Obama win a second term – he has only just begun to undo two terms of Republican mismanagement. If there is to be a Republican President, I would hope that it was General David Petraeus, the man credited with resolving the situation in Iraq.