Motions of Censure fail

Motions of Censure filed against YUSU President, Tim Ngwena, and Welfare Officer, Ben Humphrys, at last week’s UGM failed to pass

­­­Motions of Censure filed against YUSU President, Tim Ngwena, and Welfare Officer, Ben Humphrys, at last week’s UGM failed to pass. 143 people voted against Ngwena, and 150 against Humphrys, being censured.

Concerning the results, Humphrys stated: “They gave me hope that people didn’t think I do a terrible job. I’m very happy it didn’t pass and there are no hard feelings.” Ngwena continued to say that “the fact I wasn’t censured is justification that students think me and Ben are actually doing what we were mandated to.”

Layram has claimed that “for a hundred students to support such a damning set of indictments regarding how the Union’s top two Officers have been handling campaigns is absolutely unprecedented.”

Whilst all other motions failed to reach quoracy, both motions concerning the development of portering campaigns were passed. One of the motions, already approved by Union Council and proposed by Jason Rose, was voted more popular by a margin of 23 votes.

Regarding the two motions, Ngwena said: “We have to take both options to the table, it’s the judgement call of the Sabbs. It’s why we’re elected – to make that decision about what is going to work best.”

Humphrys stated: “You always have to interpret Union policy because of the dynamic nature of student politics… I’m sure that with thorough consultation, we’ll be able to fulfil the spirit of the motion.”