Harry Potter by numbers

Harry Potter by numbers

7.5 in. The average length of a wizard’s wand. Why? What did you think I was referring to, you filthy, filthy witch?

£15 billion. The profit made on the books. Actually, it’s Galleons but J.K. Rowling hasn’t given us a symbol. Lazy, not cheeky.

57% of Brits know who Harry Potter is. 49.5% can name Brown as the Prime Minister. Harry defeats evil. Brown gave us the credit crunch. Fair enough, I say.

36,573. The number of members in the ‘I cried when I didn’t get into Hogwarts’ Facebook group. I’m a member and, you know what, it was a really difficult time.

85% of children believe the Harry Potter books relate to their lives more than their parents. Ungrateful buggers. At least they don’t have Mr and Mrs Dursley.

62442. The secret code that allows wizards to access the Ministry of Magic. This, on a telephone keypad, spells out ‘magic.’ Why were they so sur­­prised when the Death Eaters got in?

31,000. The number of postal workers it took to deliver the last installment of the Potter books. Owl post would have been so much more efficient.

55% of the Nouse office, if they were genuinely honest with themselves (and we are journalists), would be in Slytherin. Take hee­­d, Hes Hall, over half of us are fundamentally self-serving.

2nd. The ranking of Hogsmeade on the ‘Most Popular Wizarding locations’ list. I like a pint as much as anyone else, but seriously guys? Diagon Alley Butterbeers all the way.

23. The number of times Harry Potter has been challenged for being supplied in public and school libraries in the US because, apparently, it endorses witchcraft. Bloody Yanks.

1 the number of HP societies we will, upon ratification, have at the University of York. Started by Deputy Numbers (Minister of Muggles) herself, don’t you know? I’m going to be Dumbledore. Jones will be Ernie from the Knightbus. Ah, what a power trio we shall be.

1. 17 Mar ’10 at 1:33 pm

Hagrid's Pumpkin

“57% of Brits know who Harry Potter is. 49.5% can name Brown as the Prime Minister.”

Blatantly unrepresentative sample. More than 49.5% of people of a voting age vote for a start, and Harry Potter is a kids book (though yes, all adults enjoy it too)
    This stat is really just saying, lots of kids don’t know who Gordon Brown is. Which isn’t reaaaly that shocking is it.

2. “55% of the Nouse office, if they were genuinely honest with themselves (and we are journalists), would be in Slytherin. Take heed, Hes Hall, over half of us are fundamentally self-serving.”

By far the most shocking thing in this whole edition is only 55% of Nouse are fundamentally self serving.