Global Focus

The Nouse Politics team summarises the biggest stories from around the world

[mapmaker]

[mmplace location=”LINCOLN,UK”]After returning to the UK in January, former hostage Peter Moore has revealed the details of his ordeal.  The group, who call themselves ‘The League of the Righteous’, subjected Moore to beatings and several fake executions during his two and half year captivity.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ISTANBUL, TURKEY”]The Turkish ambassador to Sweden has been withdrawn following a controversial decision by Sweden’s parliament to classify the killings of Armenians in World War 1 as genocide. Sweden still maintains that it supports Turkish entry to the EU. However, this decision will certainly damage relations.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”HAVANNA,CUBA”]Orlando Zapata Tamayo, a political opponent to the Cuban government, has died in hospital in Havana following a hunger strike. Zapata had been in detention since his arrest in 2003. Raul Castro has said that he “laments” the death.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”MEXICO CITY,MEXICO”]A Mexican telecoms giant has been rated as the richest man in the world, pushing Microsoft creator Bill Gates into second place. Carlos Slim topped the Forbes magazine rich list, with an estimated wealth of £53.5bn. The magazine also claimed the number of Indian billionaires had doubled during 2009.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Naypyidaw, Myanmar”]A UN special envoy to Burma has accused the ruling junta of a “gross and systematic violation of human rights” after the introduction of new election laws. Under the new rules the main opposition leader Aung Suu Kyi will not be allowed to take part. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Taipei, Taiwan”]The Justice minister of Taiwan, Wang Ching-Feng has resigned from her post in opposition to the death penalty. Ms Wang has made a bold statement in refusing to authorise executions as the majority of the Taiwanese public are pro death penalty. Ms Wang’s stance represents further breaks from the policies of Taiwan’s Chinese neighbours. Further to deep existing divides.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Melbourne, Australia”]Over 2000 atheists have gathered in Melbourne to celebrate a lack of religious belief at the Global Atheist Convention. The convention attracts an eclectic group that hope to promote their anti-religion stance. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Berlin, Germany”]The Catholic church has been rocked by allegations of sexual abuse in its German institutions . Germany’s justice minister has scathing accused the Vatican of operating a “wall of silence”. This has ignited debate about celibacy of priests. Pope Benedict has defended the Vatican’s stance as “full devotion”.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”JERUSALEM, ISRAEL”]Two Israeli soldiers have been accused of using a Palestinian child as human shield during the recent conflict against Hamas in the Gaza strip. They are claimed to have directed a boy to open bags that were suspected booby traps. This practice is generally considered to be a war crime.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Mogadishu, Somalia”]The Major of Mogadishu is encouraging people to leave the capital amid intensified fighting. The capital of Somalia has been entrenched in a state of conflict for decades in the fight between the government and Islamist insurgent groups. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”LONDON, UK”]A government commissioned review has ruled that members of the British National Party (BNP) should not be banned from teaching. Nick Griffin called it a “common sense review”, however BNP members cannot enter the police force or prison service. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”NEW DELHI, INDIA”]The Upper House of India’s Parliament has passed a bill that means a third of legislative seats will be reserved for women. Many politicians have labelled the bill as historic. However, despite being passed with a large majority, the bill has been met with mixed reactions in the country. Some critics put emphasis on representing the poor. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”Lahore, Pakistan”]Two suicide bombs have exploded in Lahore, Pakistan killing 45 people and injuring a further 100. A military convoy is said to have been the target of the bombings and nine soldiers are among the dead. This latest attack comes after a warning from the Taliban which declared that they would unleash 3,000 suicide bombers.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”GAZA, PALESTINE”]Journalist Paul Martin has been released by Hamas. He had been held for a month in the Gaza strip. Hamas had openly accused Martin of being an Israeli spy, although no formal charges were brought. Martin said his release was a “great victory for the rights of journalists”[/mmplace]

[/mapmaker]