BUCS season review

With success, failure and scandal, it’s been one of the most exciting BUCS seasons in recent memory. As it comes to a close, looks at how York’s main clubs have fared

Football

League round-up: Despite a disappointing finish, their season should be viewed as a huge success. The men’s firsts have been challenging for an unprecedented treble and have only tasted defeat three times all year. This form meant that they finished the season top of NUL Football League East 1 and second in BUCS Northern Conference 2B. However they will be disappointed that they were unable to gain promotion in the latter, a loss against Hull, this season’s bogey team, ending their hopes of making top spot. Elsewhere the women’s team, whose season has not yet finished, were also involved in a promotion race but were undone by a home defeat to league-leaders Leeds Met. thirds.

Cup round-up: Despite impressive seven-goal wins against the University of Teeside thirds and fourths, the men crashed out of the BUCS Cup in the fourth round. The women’s team lost their first cup game, also to Hull.

High point: The men’s eleven game unbeaten run was full of high points but most impressive was a 4-1 away win against Newcastle firsts, who would finish the season third in the table.

Low-point: Perhaps their most significant result was the 2-2 draw with promotion rivals Sheffield. Despite dominating, they were unable to convert their chances in a game that they really needed to win if they were to have any chance of promotion.

Roses chances: Last year the men thrashed Lancaster 4-0, and this year they go into the competition on the back of a much more successful season. However Lancaster stormed Northern Conference 2A this year and, with the home advantage, will be a tough test for York.

They say: Men’s firsts captain Greg Gardner: “This season was the best in the club’s history and we were desperately unlucky not to be promoted.”

Rugby

League round-up: Perhaps the most thrilling – but also the most crushingly disappointing – campaign that any York team experienced this year. In only their first season competing in 1A, the men’s team started slowly – losing their first away game to Sheffield Hallam – but then exploded into life, challenging for promotion right until the final round of fixtures. They were denied top spot by the cruellest of ways; in a shambolic final weekend the deadline to claim a walkover over Northumbria was missed and, without the three points, York finished second to Hallam on head-to-head record. The seconds are also fighting for promotion and, with two games left, sit joint top of the table with York St. John. They will hope their season ends less chaotically than the firsts’.

Cup round-up: The firsts were drawn against Birmingham in the first round, a team who only moved down from Premier A last year. Despite matching their opponents for most of the game, they were undone by a 75th minute try on a day that showed just how far the club had progressed this year.

High point: 98-7 against Manchester seconds. Enough said.

Low point: On the pitch it was a 27-5 loss to Leeds Met. seconds, but of course nothing was harder than finding out that promotion had been lost due to an administrative error.

Roses chances: Last year, York swept their opponents aside 31-8 in Roses’ showpiece event, but this time Lancaster are now also a 1A side after winning their division. York will be favourites, but this game could be the highlight of the competition.

They say: Rory McGregor, UYRUFC President-elect: “Despite the obvious disappointment of the first fifteen not getting promoted, we have had a tremendously successful season. [We are] one of the premier teams on campus.”

Tennis

League round-up: Despite the men’s team losing their last three matches, they remain seven points clear of the drop zone with two games left to play, so will be safe this year. The women are third in BUCS 2B with only one game left.

Cup round up: The women had a day to forget in their first BUCS Cup fixture with a 10-0 loss against Leeds seconds. The men also went out the cup in the seconds round, losing 7-3 to Durham thirds.

High point: Consecutive 10-0 wins for the men at the end of last year, and it looked as if this would be a successful season. Unfortunately they were unable to sustain their form. The women also started strongly with two victories.

Low point: The men are having a poor run of form at the moment, having lost three games in a row. They also suffered a crushing 9-1 loss to Leeds Met. thirds in their second game of the season. The women have twice lost 10-0 this season, once in the cup and also in their last game against Leeds seconds.

Roses Chances: Both Lancaster’s male and female teams are in parallel leagues to York so expect close fixtures. The men have been in a relegation scrap and the women finished third, losing three games and winning two. In both of these matches something as subtle as home advantage might make all of the difference.

They say: Women’s firsts player Maria Hunt: “We’ve had a pretty good season. We’ve only really lost to the top sides.”

Badminton

League round-up: In their first season in BUCS 1A, the men’s team initially struggled to cope with the step up in quality but two wins in their last two games were enough to ensure that they remain in the division. The women’s team are third in 2B with one game left to play.

Cup round-up: The men went all the way to the BUCS Trophy semi-finals – an outstanding achievement – but were demolished by Loughborough seconds.

High point: A 5-3 win against top-of-the-table Leeds for the men in their final game of the season, securing their place in League 1A for another year.

Low point: Losing their first two games in 1A – the worst possible start.

Roses chances: York’s Badminton club won all their games last Roses and an 8-0 victory over Lancaster by the men earlier in the season suggests that things probably will not be much different this year.

They say: Men’s captain James Hor: “We started off badly with some injuries, then won five games in a row and we should hopefully finish off well by winning Roses.”

Netball

League round-up: With one game left, the netball firsts might still go down; they are currently only above the relegation play-off places through points difference. They have not gone on any particularly good or bad runs this season; generally they have won at home and lost away and will probably finish mid-table as a result.

Cup round-up: A 26-29 loss in the second round of the Northern Conference Cup to Leeds Trinity and all Saints ended their chances of silverware this season.

High point: Their second game of the season, and a 64-10 win at Hull. It might have been their fifths, but it was impressive nonetheless. It should also be mentioned that the club won all of their Varsity games.

Low point: Their only home loss of the season, an incredibly tight 25-27 defeat to Northumbria thirds.

Roses chances: Lancaster are two divisions above York and, playing away from home, this will be a tough test for York netball firsts.

They say: “After a shaky first term, we have gone from strength to strength.”

The Big Three: Upcoming cup finals in the next month

Hockey

The men’s firsts have a final against Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) Cheshire on 24th March. A division above their opponents, York will enter the match as favourites but should be wary of a side that thrashed Liverpool John Moores 7-3 in the semi-final. The date of the fixture, just after the men’s tour to Amsterdam, will only help their opponents.

Nouse Prediction: Playing a BUCS final away from home will never be easy, but expect York to take the year’s first silverware and cap what has been a good year for the club.

Lacrosse

After smashing Oldham 13-4 in the semis, the men’s lacrosse team face Heaton Mersey C in the final of the Nigel Wayne Trophy on 11th April. York will be favourites to claim the trophy at Rochdale Lacrosse Club having already beaten their opponents twice in the North of England Men’s Lacrosse Association (NEMLA) League this season. Captain Benedict Robinson will have the side playing the fast, counter-attacking brand of lacrosse which has been so effective this season.

Nouse Prediction: Expect the silverware to be coming back to York. They have the measure of this particular opponent.

Volleyball

The women’s reward for beating Manchester seconds in the BUCS Cup semi-final is a tough home game against Sheffield Hallam firsts on March 24th. The sides both compete in League 2B and their two meetings this season have both gone to the home side. With Hallam having finished level on points with York this season, this could be an extremely close final.

Nouse Prediction: Despite optimism within the club, this will be a difficult fixture for York and, playing away from home, they might find that their cup hopes end at the final hurdle.

1. Is that all the teams completing in BUCS this year? Either do them all or don’t bother – rather than just focusing on the ‘big’ sports and the successful ones. For example – there is also a womens rugby team who are the only womens team not mentioned in the above review.

2. Yes a women’s rugby team that won 124-0 this afternoon, have come second in the league despite lack of pitches, lack of funding, injuries and playing teams who didnt abide the Bucs rules.

3. 18 Mar ’10 at 12:14 am

Men's 1st Fencing Captain

York Men’s 1st have just been promoted, and are in the cup final next week. Where is our mention!!!?

4. Our roses chances should not be doubted ….. doubt is the thought pattern of losers lets maintain posiitve mental attitudes! We are going wipe the floor with Lancaster and have a repeat performance of last year in the Tennis where the mens or the womens team did not loose a set!

5. 21 Mar ’10 at 11:30 pm

Kameli Ratuvou

Hey Leigh, the tiddlywinks firsts got promoted to BUCS 12C. Why are we not on there?

6. Probably worth mentioning pool and Snooker once again got over 100 BUCS points and are once again the University’s most successful club by a distance. It may be a minority sport but surely it’s worth mentioning when it gains so much more BUCS points than any other clubs? For what it’s worth our 2nds lost in the Trophy Semi finals of the Pool, our 1sts lost in the Final of the Championship. 2nds and 1sts both lost in their respective finals of the Snooker, making us undoubtedly the strongest club in the country. We also won the 9-ball championship, and Luke Fleet made the individual finals, next year this will be a bucs event.

7. Kameli Ratuvou?? Didn’t know you’d left Saracens…no wonder the York boys are doing so well! I know you’re taking the michael but the point stands…there is more to sport at uni than mens, and more to sport in general than rugby, football and hockey

8. 1 Apr ’10 at 1:32 pm

Gabriel Clark

Well done to York’s first team football captain Greg Gardner on a hugely successful season