A year on since Claudia Lawrence’s disappearance

CCTV footage showing Claudia Lawrence at the Roger Kirk Centre on the day she went missing [Image: North Yorkshire Police]

This Thursday will mark a year since the missing Goodricke chef Claudia Lawrence was last seen. North Yorkshire police are continuing to treat her disappearance as a suspected murder and state that the case “remains a major investigation”.

Claudia was reported missing by her father, Peter Lawrence, just after 2pm on 20 March 2009, although the last known sighting of her was on the afternoon of 18 March. The last person known to have spoken to her was her mother Joan at around 8.15pm on the evening of 18 March.

A spokeperson for North Yorkshire police stated that detectives are “continuing to pursue the many lines of enquiry generated by our appeals” and that the police have had “a tremendous response from members of the public, including support and assistance from the residents and students of York”.

The police continued to state that “the picture of Claudia’s life remains incomplete”, saying that they believe “Claudia has come to harm at the hands of someone she knew”.

Speaking to Nouse, Peter Lawrence, Claudia’s father, said that “someone, somewhere holds the key to helping us find out what happened to her.”

He asked that “if anyone who was around then still has any thoughts that they might know something about it, for our sake they should come forward and say so. Anybody who didn’t see Claudia as a matter of course at the Roger Kirk Centre, I’m sure by now knows what she looks like, and how she walks, and maybe something will jog their memory even a year on. If anybody thinks they know anything but don’t think it is important, let somebody else be the judge of that. It may be the tiny piece of the puzzle that the police need to put it all together and get a result.”

He continued to say that “Claudia was part of the University and I would like to think that anyone at the University would give information that might be helpful.”

If anyone has any information, please contact Crimestoppers, who are offering a £10,000 reward, on 0800 555 111. North Yorkshire Police can also receive information on 0845 60 60 247.
­