30 Seconds to Mars

Artist: 30 Seconds to Mars
Date: 8 February
Venue: Manchester Evening News Arena
Review: Matthew Edgar
Rating: ****

30 Seconds to Mars came on in a blaze of glory. Their introduction, ‘Escape’, ended in the audience screaming “This is WAR!” before kicking into ‘Night of the Hunter’, also one of their new songs from their third studio album This Is War. The audience was ecstatic, and rightly so.

Singer Jared, despite having a sore throat, unleashed his primal screams upon the audience with an unrelenting fury, whilst sporting an equally furious new haircut. Guitarist Tomo, modelling a beautiful sieve-type helmet for some of the set, was as tight as ever with his riffs and beautifully executed the fans’ favourites. Drummer Shannon was truly the master of his kit, enjoying every minute of his reception.

‘This Is War’ itself, the song to which the album was named after, was dedicated to the fans, the followers who have stood by the band since the beginning, and judging from the screams that followed; that was a big dedication. ‘Capricorn’ and ‘The Kill’ were performed by Jared on an acoustic guitar up in the stands before he rejoined his comrades on a small stage halfway down the stadium to blast out ‘The Fantasy’. 30 Seconds to Mars had the crowd singing, chanting, laughing and even crying.

They were not only the entertainment, they were the commanders of their army, and their followers were with them every step of the way.

To use the phrase “in their element” would do this band a great injustice; they brought their fury, their anguish, their joy and their laughter to Manchester.

30 Seconds to Mars issued their call to arms against their critics, against those that would stop them from doing what they love.

Jared, Shannon, and Tomo gave their declaration for war. Will you join them? On Saturday 20th February 2010, 11,000 avid fans screamed a resounding “yes”.

1. I can’t wait to see them in L.A. in May!! Thanks for the review, you’ve gotten me even more excited!!

2. You’re very welcome, it was an insane gig :) Have fun seeing them in L.A…It’s going to blow you away.

3. 17 Mar ’10 at 12:29 pm

Jared Leto Fan

I went to the gig too – it was amaaaazing! Good review. =)

4. i went to the wembley gig, it was insane! and i got so close to jared!

5. Awesome gig and awesome review. And who could believe the Mohawk?! Insane night.

6. 18 Mar ’10 at 4:15 pm

Utter hyperbolic wank

“30 Seconds to Mars issued their call to arms against their critics”
    Funny that, when you’re supposed to be the critic writing the review.

This isn’t a review, it’s the wet dream of some obsessive fan. You should have just included a picture of jarod or whatever that dick is called, so the rest you could collectively circle-jerk over it more effectively.