York seconds crush hapless Hallam

Just two days after beating their seconds team, York men’s rugby seconds annihilated Sheffield Hallam thirds to go joint top of Northern Conference 3B

Photo: Peter Iveson

Photo: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN’S SECONDS 66
SHEFFIELD HALLAM MEN’S THIRDS 5

BUCS League 3B

Just two days after a vital two point win over Sheffield Hallam seconds, you might have expected a tired and sluggish performance from York rugby seconds yesterday. Yet on the still bitingly cold 22 Acres, they destroyed their opponents, Hallam thirds, 66-5 in a game where the only disappointment will be that they did not score more. With the obvious gulf in class, this was a score that, if anything, flattered Hallam and gave York a significant boost on their road to promotion from League 3B.

It was all over before it had really started. Within the first ten minutes two tries from Will Felgate had effectively ended the match as a contest. James Mortimer handed him a free run for the first and within minutes he had touched down again between the posts, with Mortimer converting to give York a 14-0 lead.

York’s best passage came midway through the first, when within five minutes they scored two easy tries and came close to adding a third. A stylish crossover pass put Ryan Johnston through and, almost immediately after, the ball was passed down to Pete Tarrega to take the lead to thirty. Hallam, who kicked terribly all game, messed up the restart and Pollen, Redshaw and Garmston were instantly crashing through their defence again. Only a last ditch tackle prevented the score from already becoming absurd.

Hallam were having a game to forget in nearly all areas. They were dominated in the line-out, – not helped by the inclusion of York first’s captain Alex Redshaw at five – their defence were being penetrated with almost comical ease and their inability to kick successfully to touch was drawing jeers from the home crowd. By the end of the half Christian Reid Milligan had driven over and Will Felgate had completed his hat-trick to take the score to 47-5.

Rugby 2nds v Hallam 3rds -- Peter Iveson - 10/3/10 -
This was the second time that York have played a Hallam side in two games, narrowly beating the seconds 17-15 on Sunday. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

In the second period York will be disappointed that they were only able to add another 19 points to their total. They were forced to use all of their substitutions early as key players such as Redshaw, captain Will Tate and Tom Murris were forced to leave the field with injury. Ryan Jonhston twice fluffed catches on the wing which would have led to tries and Rishi Naidoo appeared to have touched down late in the game, only for the referee to judge that there had been a knock-on in the build up.

Hallam did score one try early in the first half. After being awarded a penalty between the posts they kicked to the wing and the ball was taken out of the air and easily driven through the York defence. It was a moment of brilliance in a shambolic performance from the away side.

York are now joint top of the table with York St. John with only two league games left to play. It is likely to all come down to their last game of the season – against their local rivals. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

This was to be York’s day however, and two tries in the latter stages epitomised the visitor’s performance. Pete Tarrega was able to break through the Hallam defence with ridiculous ease to take his second and then Johnston helped him through for his third in the closing stages. For Hallam, it had just been one of those days.

York line-up: 1. George Wissen, 2. James Garmston, 3. Christian Reid Milligan, 4. Steve Quick, 5. Alex Redshaw, 6. Guy Holder-Williams, 7. Jordan Crosse, 8. Will Tate (c), 9. Adam Wood, 10. James Mortimer, 11. Ryan Johnston, 12. Matt Pollen, 13. Will Felgate, 14. Peter Tarrega, 15. Tom Murris
Subs: Gabriel Adebiyi, Ollie Tilney, Rishi Naidoo, Phil Johnson, Rich Welsh