Alcuin turn on the style to defeat Wentworth in College Football

Alcuin produced a brand of expansive football to overcome hard-working Wentworth on Sunday morning, revitalising their title ambitions

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

ALCUIN COLLEGE 4
WENTWORTH COLLEGE 1

Sunday 7th March

On a day where their rivals faltered, Miles McDermott’s Alcuin side delivered a strong performance to run out 4-1 winners against a hard-working Wentworth team. Although Alcuin started slowly on a boggy 22 acres pitch they hit their stride to play some expansive football and score four excellent goals.

Parris Williams was a danger to Wentworth throughout and his pace looked set to rip their defence apart from the opening ten minutes. He was sent through early on and beat the Wentworth central defender Lakins with ease only to drag his shot onto the post when he should have scored. After an early flurry of chances Alcuin were frustrated by the battling Postgraduates and despite a nice move, featuring Dan Cox and McDermott they were unable to break the deadlock. Although Wentworth seemed comfortable in holding Alcuin they were not as confident going forward, Seamus Kent having the best of their meagre chances with a curled effort from 20 yards.

Eventually it was one of Alcuin’s, and College’s Football’s, most recognisable names that opened the scoring. After Parris Williams had been sent through and rounded the keeper he was stranded without support in the oppposition penalty area. After sterling work from the lightning front man, the cavalry arrived and his blocked shot was turned in by Udy Onwudike. There were claims of handball from the Wentworth defence but they were turned down by referee, and Alcuin substitute, Joe Cooper.

College Football, 07/03/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Parris Williams, a reliable goalscorer for Alcuin, was again instrumental in Sunday’s 4-1 success. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Despite trailing, Wentworth looked to hit back immediately and the impressive Samik Datta went close, blazing a left footed effort just over from a tight angle. Soon after, Alcuin doubled their lead as McDermott converted a penalty, which perhaps should have been saved. McDermott rounded off a formidable captain’s perfomance just five minutes later providing the assist which effectively sealed the game for his side. The ball was worked out to him in a wide right position and he found a free Christy Cormac at the back post with a characteristically accurate delivery to glance home.

Wentworth managed to steal a consolation goal as reward for their hard work from the penalty spot. Nearly half of their attacking players were pulled down in the Alcuin area making for an easy penalty decision for second-half official Dan Horsfall. Dominic Green smashed home the penalty to make the score somewhat more respectable. Alcuin however managed to extended their margin of victory back to three goals in the final minutes as Parris Williams capped an impressive performance with an unstoppable run and finish.

As Derwent and Halifax slogged out a turgid encounter on the adjacent pitch, Alcuin will be pleased and confident with a free flowing display and will hope that this term their attractive football won’t just flatter to deceive.

1. it wasn’t McDermott’s “characteristically accurate delivery” for the 3rd goal.. but in fact Udy Onwudike who delivered that luscious cross. who would have thought Onwudike had so many strings to his bow?

2. 8 Mar ’10 at 1:28 pm

Ricardo Carvalho

Nearly half of Wentworths attacking players were pulled down? How many arms do u think Christy Cormac has??