Andrew McIlwraith never intended to run

Andrew McIlwraith has revealed to Nouse that he never intended to run for the position of Welfare Officer in this year’s YUSU elections

Andrew McIlwraith has revealed to Nouse that he never intended to run for the position of Welfare Officer in this year’s YUSU elections.

McIlwaith said: “For someone like me who doesn’t care much about welfare, getting the position would be awful… it would be catastrophic for students.”

McIlwaith’s confirmation that he never intended to run for the position follows condemnation earlier this week, from students and opponents alike, that he was undermining the role. The quotes used by Nouse were not those of McIlwaith, but of friends posing as him at the Hockey Club’s hustings on Tuesday. This is despite claims from our reporter that McIlwaith was indeed present at the hustings and was aware that someone was posing at him.

McIlwaith said that the people impersonating him were “completely irresponsible” and that he was angry with them for their actions. He added: “Impersonating me is bang out of order.”

Peter Warner Medley, one of McIlwaith’s opponents, along with Laura Bo, said that it was “mature of him to realise” that if he gets the position it wouldn’t be conducive for either the role or student welfare. Warner-Medley added: “If he feels that he wouldn’t be able to do the job well if elected, he probably shouldn’t stay in the running for what is a really important position. I hope that having his name linked to previous quotes does not affect his future prospects.”

Bo said: “I think that Andrew’s candidacy does undermine the seriousness and the responsibility that comes with the position but, as I gather, it was his friends that put his name down for the position without having considered his wishes. This does sadden me that friends would behave so irresponsibly.”

When asked whether the stunt was intended to make a mockery of the role, McIlwraith responded that the only way he could make a mockery would be “if I actually ran”. Instead, he maintains that he has been “apathetic” and failed to run a campaign. He said that if he were to win, he would not take on the position.

This follows questions surrounding David Hansen’s Presidential campaign. Hansen confirmed to Nouse that he would not take the role if he were to win, and that his intention is to expose some of the other candidates’ policies and promises for what they are.

McIlwraith added that there has been a “bit of identity theft going on” and that he was not the one to submit his application to YUSU last week. He claimed that he had not confirmed his candidacy, as his email address wasn’t used on the form. He thinks that the people who have done this on his behalf have done it as a “social experiment” and that the race for President is a “popularity contest”.

He has now said that he will continue with his dissertation work and keep a low profile: “Essentially I’ve done nothing… I don’t really care.”

Bo added: “I think that he personally did not do anything wrong.”

1. If I may say so, both YUSU and Nouse got pwned.

2. Clearly this is Andy Mac double Bluffing. He will become a sterling Welfare Rep

3. HAVE FAITH, VOTE WRAITH

MR JIZZ XX XX

4. To be honest the saddest thing about all of this is it’s made Mr Mcilwraith into a big of a campus celebrity – really undermining the seriousness of all these positions in general. Whoever these so-called friends of Andrew are they should be named and shamed

James

5. actually the saddest thing about all of this is peter’s reaction..

6. I agree with anon (lowercase), Peter’s reaction has been totally unjustified and a similar stance to that of Bo’s would of been much more appropriate.

Boycott Peter. VOTE THE WRAITH

7. FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU. FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME…….was this interview with the real Andrew McIlwraith!!?

8. I would just like to agree with anon above, Peter’s reaction to this whole episode has been totally unjustified, and a more professional response in line with Bo’s would of been much more appropriate.

O

9. Nouse are moderating the hell out of this site. Don’t you have anything better to be doing on a saturday night?!? I hope you let this one through – it doesn’t break any guidelines

Thats all. Thanks

10. 7 Mar ’10 at 1:34 am

Tony Richards

Return to signature based forms, at least for the candidates themselves would eliminate this issue. How would anyone know that the people who seconded you actually do, or indeed that someone who knows ure email adress is not posing as you. You dont, quite simply…… This was a really big fail, but more importantly, it became described by some as an epic scandal, when, it wasn’t. People do need to calm down a bit cus I don’t think I can take another week of this ineffectual but quite frankly saddening bitching.

11. The jizzler, obviously they get held before we can see whether to accept or not, that’s why they didn’t show up instantly (it’s saturday night after all).

Tony Richards, you raise a good point, but with the University we can get a verification by asking for the username and password for the user’s email. Come to think of it, surely that would have been promted for the candidate application form? If anyone filled one of those out I’d be interested to hear if it asked their username & password and if not, needs fixing so candidates don’t get entered by other people!

12. 7 Mar ’10 at 2:24 am

A. McIlwraith

Interesting article… not exactly quoted accurately but hey!

Apparently the forms do ask for username and password but unfortunately who ever it was knew my password and username. Second to that there are e-mails sent by YUSU for confirmation but again, they knew my password and could just delete traces of e-mails.

Its not too far fetched. Tony you raise a good point, perhaps a system that uses a form of photo I.D. and a signature.

With regads to parts left out of this article I stated that if the candidates felt in any way offended by my running I would resign however as I understand neither of my opposition have requested this.

In response to those to crticise the running:
    1) I haven’t actually done anything proactive to insult or hurt anyone
    2) If people are worried about me messing up the voting between the ‘real’ candidates, i’m sure that IF anyone does actually vote for me it won’t be from my oppositions voting demographic.
    3) Personally I think it will be interesting to see if my shell of a campaign will succeed. If someone with no policies can be elected on popular vote to a position of Welfare…. there are some issues here.

Also identification before interview may be a good idea, whilst the previous article was damaging with quotes from an imposter, it could have been far more damaging and I’m sure Nouse wouldn’t have hesitated to write an article on it condemning ‘me’ further.

Andy

13. 7 Mar ’10 at 9:18 am

Laura Connor

@ anon, ollie – Peter’s reaction on the phone last night wasn’t entirely clear and he responded before I had spoken to Laura. Subsequently, he has sent me over a longer and more clear response; it is always easier to use written quotes as there is no chance of someone being accidentally misquoted.

@ Andy – I never once misquoted you, I have recorded the phone conversation, and when I informed you what Peter’s response was you indeed did tell me that you didn’t really care and had work to do. I think that DARKHORSE’s response demonstrates that it has been very difficult for both YUSU and the media as you have failed to give either of us definite answers and failed to inform us until yesterday that you had been impersonated (although, as I maintain, you were in the hustings room, you were there when someone called out your name, and someone else left pretending to be you…)

I think James Shavey may be right… this is getting far more attention than is actually needed if, in fact, as you told me Andy, you and your ‘campaigners’ don’t want you to win.

Thank you for the comments.

14. 7 Mar ’10 at 9:14 am

Daniel Linderman

In my opinion, Peter’s reaction is exactly the sort of response I would expect from a good welfare officer. Fair enough messing around with a joke candidate for president – it is more of a popularity contest which, as Tom Scott showed, can be learnt by almost anyone with some knowledge of yusu. Welfare is a vital role of the Union though and must be taken seriously. The thought of Andrew being in office whilst lonely, vunerable freshers who have just left their homes and need welfare support makes me very scared. If he wanted a social experiment then he should have chosen a position that doesn’t have such an important role. I hope Andrew realises that whilst he may be trying to stay low for now, these news stories of his stupidity and apathy towards welfare will be online forever for future employers to see. Personally, I would urge Andrew to stand down with dignity and show some common sense, as well as give welfare the respect it deserves.

15. Laura, do you really think someone walked in during the middle of the hockey players speeches and said “alright everyone, there’s a girl from some exceptionally widely-read campus news paper outside, wants to speak to McIlwraith, so we’re going to send that chunky lad one out. All those in favour?”

I think they probably got the chunky lad quietly, told him to put down his cookies, and sent him out.

Xx

16. Laura J C and Daniel L, …..no one cares. Nouse and YUSU have failed (you can quote on that).

Andrew is the new RON. He will get votes.

17. ” The thought of Andrew being in office whilst lonely, vunerable freshers who have just left their homes and need welfare support makes me very scared.”

Vunerable lonely freshers? Sounds like you seem to have a gameplan yourself sir. Shame on you

18. 7 Mar ’10 at 12:02 pm

A. McIlwraith

Daniel Linderman – so you are saying that President is less important than Welfare. If anything it adds more weight to the issue by running for a Welfare Position. Also… read the article I didn’t pick the position.

Laura I don’t understand… According to this article Peter said I should resign. After speaking to him you spoke to me and said that I shouldn’t resign, which one is it?? Druring that conversation after you said that Peter said he didn’t want me to stand down I said ok, and that I didn’t really care about the campaign and I had work to do…. ok, lets scrap misquoted and go for, out of context.

Anyway, thats all from me.

19. I do think a return to paper forms is needed – I was very nearly in Andrew’s position as some people nearly put my name forward for a sab position.

In addition, although Andrew doesn’t want to be welfare officer, he wouldn’t be as terrible as some people are painting him out to be. Having done Kids Camp together I can say Andrew was absolutely fantastic and took the welfare of both the volunteers and children very seriously. It’s a shame out of all the candidates running only a handful have actually been on kids camp and kids club.

20. Hi guys,

I don’t think I gave a very good quote, so I thought I’d just explain what I meant to say.

Apparently Andy said that he’d pull out if either Laura or I wanted him to. I don’t think either of us would ask him to do that, and it is his choice, but like all YUSU positions (particularly those of full-time officers), it has a big impact on lots of students, so if any candidate felt they couldn’t fulfil the duties of the role I think they should consider the candidacy carefully.

I’m mostly just concerned that his name has appeared next to a few quotes that weren’t him, but I’ve been assured that the previous article in which these quotes appeared will be taken down or amended.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone or caused any confusion.

Peter WM

21. I think it’s rather ironic that Peter WM showed disregard for Andrew McIlwraith’s welfare, tbh.

22. I think that the people saying that paper nomination forms would have stopped this have obviously forgotten that Tom Scott’s crew submitted him for President without him knowing about it… the reason isn’t because it was online but because it was ‘funny’ and it doesn’t matter how the system is set up! Online nominations makes sense but you should also have to sign something with ID before you get put forwards!

23. What a ridiculous comment Brazil! The only comment Peter made shows he cares how Andrew’s campaign may affect his life outside of the York bubble… Surely that’s a clear example of showing regard for his welfare!

To me it seems ridiculous to continue running for a position when you know that if elected you would not be able to fulfill the responsibilities of the job. But I also think that this decision is down to the candidate to make, it’s not up to the opposition to dictate either way – which is exactly what they’ve avoided doing.

24. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Mac won the election, because no one really cares about the position other than the candidates themselves (most of them anyway!) and Nouse. Bretts proved last year that everything the candidates say they’ll do is utter rubbish, most simply use the position as a filler for the CV. At least Mac has been honest in saying that he’ll do nothing, unlike everyone else.

Mac wasn’t at hustings, he didn’t know he was running until the first ridiculous article. Nouse have acted like pretentious mugs throughout this whole sorry episode. If you can’t even quote the right person, then there are problems with your reporting. I can only hope that you don’t wish to pursue a career in journalism, if so I’d start looking for some other options.

Peter’s attitude is idiotic. As much as you try to alter your stance now what you said initially is unfortunate, showing a real lack of class. This is a shame in itself because it allows Bo the chance to take a position, although she has come out of this in a good light, so credit to her for that.

The real shame in all of this is the smear on Mac’s character. Anyone who knows the lad will tell you this is completely unfounded. The author of this article, coincidentally the author of the previous article of much the same ilk, has come out of this with little credit at all. Disappointing that Mac’s quotes have been taken out of context, a really easy thing to do for the gutter press.

Furthermore, I don’t know whether the author checks her own articles prior to posting them or if there are others to do this, but Peter Warner-Medley should be hyphenated both times or neither time if you don’t know which it is. On top of this, “He claimed that he did not confirmed his candidacy” is a pretty basic error.

Room for improvement, Nouse.

Comment edited by a moderator

25. 7 Mar ’10 at 6:06 pm

Udy Onwudike

This has turned into an epic election storyline. Congratulations are in order lads!!!

26. Bo said: “I think that Andrew’s candidacy does undermine the seriousness and the responsibility that comes with the position”

Just out of curiosity, did she get off her care-bear suit to say that?