Improbable late comeback as women’s rugby gain revenge on Leeds Met

Trailing 12-0 with just 15 minutes on the clock, the UYWRUFC firsts battled back against Leeds Met on Wednesday, eventually taking the game 14-12 in dramatic fashion

Photograph courtesy of UYWRUFC

Photograph courtesy of UYWRUFC

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 14
LEEDS MET SECONDS 12

BUCS League 2B – Wednesday 3rd March

After a first home defeat last Wednesday to Leeds Met had knocked York out of the BUCS Cup at the quarter-final stage, York came back from a 12-0 deficit with only fifteen minutes left on the clock to prove that last week was nothing but a fluke.

After the game was delayed for twenty minutes due to injuries within the men’s third team both sides were eager to get the game underway. From the first five minutes it was easy to see that it would be a game of attacking and even harder defending. Leeds Met managed to gain possession early and York found themselves in their own half and having to defend their try line more than they would have hoped.

The strong attack from Leeds Met piled the pressure on York’s forwards and backs, with a series of try attempts and a scrum from five metres from the line. However,York’s defence was impeccable as they refused to give away any tries. When York regained possession, a number of back runs from Sabrina Ammi and Kate Fullilove broke gaps in their opponents line and managed to drive the Leeds Met side back into their own half.

One thing York would have to be careful of throughout the match was ball stealing from the rucks, which seemed to happen whether the tackler was on their feet or not, and which unfortunately never came to the referee’s attention. This allowed Leeds to score a try just before half-time, taking the score to 5-0.

The second-half would come with its own challenges, and York would have to step it up a gear in the rucks to keep possession, meaning both forwards and backs were getting involved in defence. But as Leeds pressed back into the York half, high tackles from the opposition were becoming more frequent – as we saw in the game last week – and an injury to fullback Amee Wilson meant York had to shuffle a couple of players.

Leeds managed to score a converted try under the sticks to push their lead to 12-0 but this only made York more determined to win the game. Lineout and scrum steals from the opposition gave the hosts the opportunity to cut out some handling mistakes they had been making throughout the match and a strong run by Kate Fullilove down the right wing led to a converted try with only fifteen minutes left on the clock.

Giving a much needed boost to the York side, good handing from Lizzie Prance and Claire Beer around a number of Leeds players gave Beer the opportunity to sprint her way to a try down the left wing, converted by Emma Hodgson. Just entering the final five minutes, York defended with everything they had, and managed to repel the waves of Leeds attack until finally the whistle was blown.

After an extremely tense 80 minutes, Captain Hodgson said: “It was an outstanding performance from us today. To beat Leeds Met having lost to them last week and going 12-0 down today really shows character and we thoroughly deserved the result.”

York Line-up: 1. Ellen Larson, 2. Vic Cusick, 3. Kirsty Wheeler, 4. Ang Ball, 5. Sarah McLoughlin, 6. Linzi Hull, 7. Rachael de Quidt, 8. Lizzie Prance, 9. Emma Nugent, 10.Emma Hodgson (c), 11. Kate Fullilove, 12. Aimee Miller, 13. Sabrina Ammi, 14. Clare Beer, 15.Amee Wilson

Substitutes: Amy Davies, Alex Khoo, Alanna Smith, Louise Banana, Emma Mathias

1. 4 Mar ’10 at 6:05 pm

women'srugby

Missing Subsitute: Emma Mathias