Campaigning for YUSU elections begins

Campaigning had begun for this year’s YUSU elections, after all candidates met yesterday at a briefing on the rules

Campaigning has begun for this year’s YUSU elections, after all candidates met yesterday at a briefing on the rules.

Lewis Bretts, YUSU Democracy and Services Officer, who has recently returned from his leave of absence to oversee the election process, addressed the candidates, stating that YUSU “have tried to slim down the rules this year. We want to make sure the elections are fair to everyone and ensure everyone is happy by the end.”

He continued to comment that “contrary to what you may have read in certain blogs, I’m actually pretty easy going”.

Regulations, such as ensuring all tools of publicity that a candidate uses are open to everyone, and a ban on mass emails to students, were laid out for the candidates. The strict budgeting rules were also emphasised, raising many questions from the candidates, including one presidential hopeful who commented that “some of us may or may not have already spent our entire campaign budget on posters”.

He also asked whether scraps of rubbish “which I may turn into a flag say” would have to be counted in his budget, pointing out “one man’s rubbish is another man’s gold, Lewis”.

Candidates were told they were allowed to do “pretty much what you want in terms of face book”, though all campaign material, including websites and videos, have to be approved by Bretts or another returning officer.

The briefing ended with Bretts emphasising to the candidates what a “great opportunity this is to go out there and talk to students about what they want and what they want to change” and to “take any criticism and negative comments in the context of elections and just enjoy this opportunity.” Candidates were also supposed to be given badges to promote the elections but Bretts stated “sadly, and this is an insight into how organised YUSU is, reception ordered them and they have arrived but now no-one can find the.m

All candidates running for sabbatical positions will each be presenting a two minute speech tonight at hustings from 6.30pm, which Nouse will be covering extensively through a live blog.

1. ‘Candidates were told they were allowed to do “pretty much what you want in terms of face book”’

So can college and society facebook groups send out mass messages on behalf of candidates they have connections with? That doesn’t seem right.

2. Jamie, that is not right. That quote is not very well explained out of context – You can do what you want as long at it adheres to all rules about unsolicited contact and mass messages not being allowed.

3. 2 Mar ’10 at 5:40 pm

Charlotte Hogarth-Jones

Will candidates please note that the information that Nouse was previously given by YUSU for this article was incorrect. Speeches are 2 minutes long and hustings will now be at 6.30pm.