University of York win Varsity 2010

The University of York have won Varsity by a 91.25-19.25 scoreline

Photo: Peter Iveson

Photo: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 91.25
YORK ST. JOHN UNIVERSITY 19.25

The University of York have won Varsity 2010.

After moving into a 22.25 – 4.25 lead yesterday, strong performances in the badminton, volleyball, basketball, tennis and netball secured the fifth University of York victory in the five events since the tournament’s inception.

Despite strong competition in the football and hockey, the home side secured the overall win midway through Sunday’s programme of fixtures.

Emily Scott, York Sport President, said it had been a “great weekend” and said that everyone involved had been “fantastic.” Gary Milner, York St. John Vice President of Student Activities, also thanked everyone who took part, saying “these are our best times at university.”

Yesterday the competition appeared to be under threat with heavy rain saturating the 22 Acres and making the river Ouse unsuitable for rowing. However the rowing and football were replaced by ergometer and five-a-side events in the Sports Centre respectively and six-a-side football matches were also held on the AstoTurf. Unfortunately the rugby fixtures were not played.

Last year the tournament was called off as poor weather led to BUCS fixture congestion in the Spring Term.

At the closing ceremony, Vice Chancellor Professor Brian Cantor said it was “great to reinvigorate the Varsity match, and said that over “800 people” had taken part.

To see the action as it happened, click here.