YUSU support the golden initiative

Students at the University are reminded that they are just as employable as its peers at other institutions [Image: Beth Miller]

Week six saw YUSU address the issue of poor graduate employability for University of York students with their promotional and ‘myth busting’ Employability Week.

The campaign came as York performs particularly poorly in its graduate employability and aimed to uncover students’ perceptions of employment and to implore students to take advantage of any opportunities that the University might offer in improving employability.

The tagline and title for the event was ‘We Are Golden’, taken from the song by Mika but used to encourage student confidence in its ability and employability.

The week was organised and run by Charlie Leyland and Rhianna Kinchin, YUSU Academic Affairs Officer and Student Activities Officer respectively. The week long campaign was preceded with a YUSU student survey which established student opinion on issues such as how the current economic climate has affected them, which skills are most important to employers and the best ways to find out about employment opportunities.

A petition for the improvement of University Careers Service and support was also pushed over the course of the week which is to be presented to the University. Kinchin stated that: “Over 1,000 students (and some staff) signed the petition asking for more focus and investment from the University in employability and careers support, demonstrating the importance of a new and robust employability guidance structure to the student experience.”

She went on to express her confidence in the succes of thecampaign, stating: “Employability week was extremely well received by our students and has provoked discussion and debate within the University.”

1. “Students at the University are reminded that they are just as employable as its peers at other institutions.”

Presumably not English graduates then.