Up and coming events

Alan Johnston: Drawing a Shadow, Handmade, and Deutsch Borse Photography Prize

Alan Johnston: Drawing a Shadow
Marketed with the tagline, “a pencil, 12 walls, 120 hours, 450 sq. metres and one exhibition”, Alan Johnston’s latest show “Drawing a Shadow: No Object” is highly anticipated among the arts world in the north of England. The exhibition opens at the Henry Moore institute in Leeds this week and is sure to be a fascinating portrayal of the renowned artist’s latest work. The exhibition will run until the 2nd of May and is hoped to be one of the highlights of the many exciting exhibitions shown at the institute this quarter.

Johnston’s drawings give new perspectives to familiar spaces. This exhibition will not only be the largest one to date in the UK, but will also provide a venue for Johnston to showcase his signature style drawings and sketches.

His style involves using “not quite” three dimensional drawings which will “highlight the galleries as sculptural spaces in their own right”.

Handmade
Arguably the most professionally executed exhibition since last term’s ‘Place Making’, ‘Handmade’ at the Norman Rea Gallery challenges conceptions of traditionally feminine past times such as knitting, and blurs the boundaries between craft and contemporary art. It features the work of international artists Anna Chocola and Kate Talbot, recently featured in British Vogue. This show is very much in keeping with the current British art scene, with shows such as ‘Quilts’ at the V&A featuring pieces from the 1700s right up to Tracey Emin’s patchwork bedspreads.

Deutsch Börse Photography Prize
Photography’s answer to the Turner Prize, the Deutsch Börse’s 2010 winner is due to be announced later this month with a show of all nominated works on at the Photographer’s gallery. This will be shown in London until April 17th. The four nominees include Anna Fox, Zoe Leonard, Donovan Wylie and Sophie Ristelhueber, both groups nominated for their recent retrospectives.

The prize is awarded to the photographer working in Europe who is seen as having made the most significant contribution to the medium of photography over the previous year. It is an award known for picking photographers with skill and vision. Look out for an interview with nominee Anna Fox at Nouse online.