The horrible truth

The future of the two main nightclubs, Tru and the Gallery, in the city of York anxiously lie in wait for their fates to be decided. It must be recognised that we are partially responsible for the shortcomings of their management, Luminar. The student population of York from both our University and York St. John’s provide the greatest source of revenue as the most extravagant spenders (certainly in terms of alcohol) and frequenters to these particular venues. The locals who, if they go out into town at all, do so primarily on weekends. On top of this, they are far more likely to go to public houses and bars for a sociable drink.

Since York has an abundance of bars and very few clubs, it is surprising that the “entertainment” venues should be so close to failure. Students are, by nature, prone to wanting to go clubbing rather than for a sophisticated beverage. Therefore, Luminar’s financial difficulties may be further attributed to the effects of a national recession. We are all too aware of the realities which the “credit crunch” imposes, through daily reminders from the media. This awareness, in itself, forces yet another reason for our exercising caution: in terms of budgeting. In today’s society, we express our very conscious desire to save money by not venturing out, preferring to stay at home where it is warm and there is no need for expenditure.

Whilst the potential change of management for the clubs means that the clubs as we know them may change, there will nevertheless be a need for our continual support in the future. Any funding which high-earning enterprises such as the HMV corporation provides will be a helpful start to allow the finances of these clubs to reassert themselves in the market again, but York’s nightlife will always rely on students sustaining their revenue.

1. There is another contributor in addition to the recession – changes in licensing laws. While generally pro late-night drinking, it has had the effect of people arriving at clubs much later on in the evening, and thus spending much less. In 2001-2004 (ish), Toffs and The Gallery would frequently be one-in-one-out by 1030 or 1045 PM. Now it’s often after midnight, if at all.

Staying open later isn’t ideal, either. I remember DJing at Toffs the first week of the relaxed opening hours; we had to incorporate a shift change to stay open til 4AM. The greater wage bill, combined with fewer people in at any given time and thus less atmosphere and lower expenditure, means lower takings for the club.