Rugby firsts denied promotion on administrative technicality

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

The UYRUFC first XV’s hopes of competing in Premier B appear to be over this afternoon after British Universities and College Sport (BUCS) denied them promotion over an administrative technicality.

York have not been able to gain any points from their walkover against Northumbria University seconds on Saturday because York Sport staff submitted the reason for Northumbria’s withdrawal 63 minutes after a BUCS-imposed deadline of 10am on Monday morning.

This means that York finished level on points with Sheffield Hallam, whose scheduled match against Sheffield University on Sunday was also cancelled, but Hallam will be promoted by virtue of a superior head-to-head record.

Had York gained the three points from Saturday’s walkover, they would be playing their rugby in Premier B, a national division containing the likes of Loughborough and Birmingham Universities, next season.

York Sport officials argued that the reason for the late submission of the information resulted from being unable to contact Northumbria University Athletic Union officials over the weekend but BUCS, who can only communicate with University Athletic Unions and not individual clubs, decided in favour of Hallam.

“We’re absolutely devastated and disheartened by what BUCS have decided,” Rob Grant, UYRUFC President, told Nouse. “We deserve promotion because we have more points than Hallam. To be denied on a technicality is heartbreaking.”

Grant and UYRUFC are investigating ways to appeal against the decision but, with the opening rounds of the BUCS Trophy taking place next week and league play-off matches scheduled for tomorrow, there is unlikely to be time to organise a deciding match with Hallam or a relegation zone Premier B side. York are due to host Birmingham University firsts in the BUCS Trophy next Wednesday (3rd March).

Last year, the team were forced by BUCS to travel to The University of Central Lancashire for a League 2B play-off fixture despite winning the league outright.

Also this week, as a result of tight BUCS scheduling, the men’s hockey firsts’ cup quarter-final against Northumbria was decided by a coin toss, with York winning.

More to follow…

1. Just to add to this BUCS had infact added our points from the walkover against Northumbria yesterday, therefore putting us on top of the table, only to remove them either late last night or this morning (although they hadn’t redressed the deduction to northumbria). I’m not sure any further comment from me on this is really printable.

2. This is disgraceful, why do clubs even bother paying york sport membership. If the staff can’t even be bothered to make very important phone calls on time. I feel really sorry for the rugby boys they have played so well this season and deserved to be representing their university at the highest level. Its a shame york sport couldn’t get their act together!

3. If this is the case, the whole rugby club should have their york sport membership refunded, whats the point in paying for a service if that service cant be bothered to do their job.

4. This sucks. Classic mix up between AU and BUCS which proves yet again that the whole process is balls. Hard lines Baboo and co; no shame in a great couple of seasons.

5. i don’t really know if you can say it was a mix up the AU had a time constraint to meet and somehow managed to be 63 minutes late. No mix up there just general incompetence!

6. Again York sport has showed its incompetence and truely shafted the rugby club!!

7. it’s not the rugby club which gets shafted loads of clubs get shafted, when are york going to recognise the needs of their student athletes!

8. Oh, guys did you forget more people hang out on social media and mobile apps and reaching them quicker and smarter is way to get the most of your content.

http://allin1panel.com/blog/battle-social-media-marketing-win/