Ones to watch

Model: Lindsey Wixson
Trend: The New Animal
Designer: The Takeover
New Era: Film to Fashion

Model: Linsey Wixson

Lindsey Wixson has only been modelling a few months, but hers is a real story for success. When she first made the journey from hometown Kansas to New York she was rejected by many leading modelling agencies except the relatively unknown Marilyn Models. However, she’s definitely having the last laugh as she opened the most recent Prada show and fronted the S/S ‘10 Miu Miu campaign with amazingly long hair extensions. Next up, she’s planning to take the Parisian and London catwalks by storm.

Trend: The New Animal

Miu Miu are leading the way in terms of defining the print for the season. Alongside the geometric tie-dye seen from Proenza Scholeur, the newest trend is to support domestic animal inspirations as well as exotic. Using leopard print and taking details from animals has been a trend for countless fashion years, but full images of cats, birds and dogs adorned Miu Miu’s shirts, trousers and accessories at their most recent Paris show, producing a look which juxtaposed fine tailoring with a youthful edge. Head designer Miuccia Prada proved that a trend doesn’t have to be the main focus of the outfit either, the shoes are both wonderfully on trend shape-wise as well as being a subtle way of proving fashion credentials.

Designer: The Takeover

In the wake of the tragic death of Alexander McQueen, the question hanging in the air is who could possibly continue his extraordinary vision and design talents. Whilst sources have confirmed that the Autumn 2010 collection was essentially finished, the Director of Communications asked for the immediate return of all samples. Whilst they remain in shock, securing the items has become a priority to ensure McQueen’s legacy is protected. According to thesartorialist.com, the Gucci group has invested millions in McQueen, but ultimately there is no option but to close the business, whilst there are rumours that McQueen’s assistant Sarah, with him since his St Martins days, has the expertise to become head designer.

New Era: Film to Fashion

It seems that the connections between the film and fashion industry have been even more firmly forged with the release of Tom Ford’s debut picture A Single Man which premiered at the Curzon Mayfair. To bring it back to fashion, the hit television show Mad Men has led to a new appreciation of retro chic. Indeed, the 1960s aesthetic of the A Single Man fitted perfectly with Tom Ford’s new campaign featuring Nicholas Hoult, one of the stars of the movie. Taking a reverse look, from old to new – for the first time, Patti Smith has opened up about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe, both icons of 1970s New York bohemia. It just shows that fashion is everywhere.

Image credits: Style.com