News in Brief

Other sports stories happening this week

Action from Saturday's lacrosse fixture. Photograph by Irene Sieberger

Lancaster pull out of multiple Roses fixtures

A number of Roses fixtures have been cancelled due to Lancaster being unable to field teams.
Seconds matches in men’s fencing, sailing, cricket and skiing have all been called off as well as the mixed hockey fixture. The women’s skiing is also possibly facing cancellation.

Emily Scott, York Sport President, has revealed that York have pulled out of the women’s seconds rugby sevens match and “potentially a few more given there are 50 exams timetabled over the Friday and Saturday of the weekend.” Cycling and Clay Pigeon Shooting will be entering the competition as exhibition events.

Men’s lacrosse overcome Oldham to reach final

York beat Oldham 13-4 on Saturday afternoon to reach the final of the Nigel Wayne Trophy.
In an often fractious encounter, Phil Harrold weighed in with four goals, while Rob Cosslett, Krishna Balan and Paul Crowley Jr scored three apiece as York recovered from a slow opening half to win comfortably.

They will now face either Timperley or Heaton Mersey in the final, to be played at Rochdale in three weeks time.

“This could be the most successful season the club has ever had,” said Benedict Robinson, the team captain.

The team are also through to the quarter-finals of the BUCS Cup, where they will face either Sheffield or Liverpool University this week.

York Sport budget not “sustainable” says Scott

Emily Scott, York Sport President, has said that she “hopes that the York Sport budget will be increased next year” as she “is not sure things are sustainable as they are now.”

Despite saying that York Sport was “coping with its budget”, she confirmed that it “had not been a cash rich year” and that they had been “working really hard to try and keep on top” of their finances.

York Sport’s overall grant was cut at the beginning of this year, meaning that they were unable to provide some clubs with money for essential equipment and kit.

Scott added that some clubs had applied for additional financial help but “not significantly more” than did so last year.

Snowfall causes sports cancellations once again

Heavy snow on Sunday morning caused further disruption to the College Sport programme. All of the week’s football matches, including the much-anticipated Halifax-Alcuin clash, and rugby fixtures were called off. The latest round of regional Futsal qualifiers was also cancelled after teams struggled to reach York.