Look into my eyes, and tell me that it isn’t Tru

Oh Tru, what will we do without you? If (but more likely when) the club shuts down, I sense the end of an era. So many of my most cherished Fresher year memories took place on those hallowed dance floors. Tru might not be everyone’s idea of a great night out, but for some, it’s a landmark in our lives. An institution signifying freedom and independence: a real symbol of university life. It might be of less than average standard but as we know it, it’s quite likely to leave our midsts forever. Or at least until new management comes along.

All I can think is: what will I look forward to? How can I guarantee turning up to mid-week lectures hungover, still a little tipsy? Will there be a replacement that can allow for post-Sunday Night Gallery recovery, but still come enough in the week to not care about demanding seminar reading? Why is everything changing?

I’ve never found accepting “changes” in life overly problematic. It’s a healthy necessity, whether we like it or not. Change allows us to evolve and our horizons to broaden. If we were to continue living the same routine, carrying out the same tasks with the same people for our entire lives, we would doubtless get bored. It’s a horrid thought to consider: “My current lifestyle is keeping me from discovering the person I have the potential within me to become”.

But to a great extent, it’s true. Since starting university I have, countless times, apologised to my friends at home for not filling them in on every detail of this “new existence” I’m leading. Yet what we must all come to understand is that you can’t spend all of your time recounting details to others. At some point, you simply have to go and live your life.

Contemporary society doesn’t allow us the time to get emotionally attached to anything, least of all a mediocre (but beloved) nightclub. We live in such a fast paced world that once we truly come to appreciate something, we’re always told, “oh wait, actually, you had it all wrong”, and suddenly something else becomes the ‘right’ answer. This doesn’t necessarily mean we have to forget the past though. Our past experiences shape our future actions – it’s all part of a subconscious education into “wisdom”.

Change is an inevitable process which, with a certain amount of trepidation, I’m all too ready to embrace. I’m just not sure whether I’m ready to let go of Tru just yet. Does this mean I’m going to have to try out this new ‘Jampot’ Monday night at Ziggy’s? ‘Monpot’;‘ Jamday’ -they just don’t have the same unique ring. But I’m sure next year’s Freshers will make it work. They’ll never know what they missed out on in the first place. Au revoir, Tru – you will be sorely missed.

1. “An institution signifying freedom and independence”

It’s not the UN Camilla. It’s a nightclub.

2. this is insane

3. 23 Feb ’10 at 7:47 pm

Hyperbole, much

“landmark in our lives”
    are you fucking kidding me? what an empty f**king life you must lead between wednesday and monday

4. 23 Feb ’10 at 8:03 pm

Captain Fitzgerald

Mmm. Well. The thing is, Tru is basically just a nightclub.

5. 25 Feb ’10 at 2:04 am

All I'm reading is blahblahblah

Oh dear god. Am I alone in thinking, Tru is great, when you’re really drunk, and only once a month. I have really good taste in music. Maybe that’s my problem…

6. That title is a work of genius

7. I get that this has been going on for a while now and it’s just accepted pratice at this point, but is it not perhaps time for Nouse to stop writing about the same topic in both News and Comments?

This is a prime example of how a story fits into one or the other as there were no facts about Tru or Gallery’s closure. This should be in the Comments section alone, if that, since at the moment it is based on rumours.