Iran criticised for Human rights abuses

Iranian protesters take to the streets of Tehran to show their opposition to the government

It has been reported by the Iranian Minorities Human Rights Organisation (IMHRO) that a mass grave has been discovered near the city of Ahwaz, in the Iranian province of Khuzestan.

Many are viewing it as final proof that the government has been ‘disappearing’ Khuzestani dissidents.

Reza Washahi, the head of IMHRO, commented: “Many people have been disappeared in predominantly ethnic minority areas and the Iranian government have refused to take responsibility for it. We should never close our eyes on such things.”

This latest discovery implicates two powerful forces within Iran – the Iranian Security Service and the Revolutionary Guard, the regime’s loyal military force – in the covert kidknapping and killing of Iranian citizens.

Iran, a largely Persian country, has been repeatedly accused of disregarding the human rights of its Arab minority, centred in the Khuzestani region.

Similar accusations have been made regarding the regime’s treatment of Kurdish, Baluchi, Turk, Turkmen, Jewish, Christian and Bahá’í minorities.

The four men, who discovered the grave, have since been arrested by the Iranian authorities and transferred to an unknown location.

The Iranian government has stepped up its campaign of repression of dissidents since the disputed election of July 2009.

Ayatollah Khamenei, the unelected Supreme Leader of Iran, is accused of acting in concert with Ahmedinejad, the incumbent, to rig the elections against Mousavi.

The Green Movement, as the followers of Mousavi have come to be known, have been intimidated, assaulted and, it is alleged, killed by the regime.

Recently, two men who were arrested whilst peacefully protesting against the election result last summer were executed for being “enemies of God” and plotting to overthrow the Iranian regime.

White House Deputy Press Secretary, Bill Burton, labelled the executions as “a low point in the Islamic Republic’s unjust and ruthless crackdown of peaceful dissent.”

The recent anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution was marred by scenes of Green Movement protesters being assaulted by baton-wielding members of the Basij militia – a common sight in recent times.

These organisations, have been accused of committing innumerable human rights breaches. These famously conservative and regime-loyal organisations have become so influential that Hilary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, recently claimed that Iran is becoming a “military dictatorship”.

President Ahmedinejad is ex-Revolutionary Guard. He and Ayatollah Khamenei have ensured that over half of Iran’s cabinet are currently made up current senior members or veterans of the Guard.

The Revolutionary Guard were formed in the aftermath of the Islamic Revolution as a counterweight to the standard. armed forces. Ironically, it now seems that they have gained too much power.