In the Running

La­­ura Connor predicts how students will vote in this year’s YUSU elections

President

Matthew Freckleton

Relative unknown Freckleton hopes to impress with his wealth of entrepreneurial experience.

Election chances: * * *

Oliver Hutchings

The former Alcuin Chair is well known for his energy and personality, attributes well-suited to the role of President.

Election chances: * * * * *

David Levene

Former Labour Party Chair and current Chair of Union Council aspires to extend his passion and experience to the role of President.

Election chances: * * * *

Tim Ngwena

Current YUSU President Ngwena plans to run for a second term, making him the first incumbent President to ever do so.

Election chances: * * * *

Roberto Powell

The former Halifax President is well-known on campus – but can Powell rely on his college and secure the loyal vote?

Election chances: * *

Democracy and Services

Sam Daniels

Climbing to YUSU Ents Officer with Suzi Ellis, Daniels is no stranger to managing events – will this be enough to secure his chances?

Election chances: * * * *

Chris Etheridge

Tory boy Etheridge is another face of campus politics, especially after becoming Campaigns Officer.

Election chances: * * *

Dan Walker

After commendably leading new Goodricke students on to Hes East, former JCRC Chair Walker is no stranger to a challenge.

Election chances: * * *

York Sport

Sam Asfahani

Asfahani is well rehearsed in both sports and politics, as former Langwith Chair and founder of the American Football Club.

Election chances: * * * *

Rob Newton

Can Hockey Club President Newton rely on the club’s faithful support – especially as it is one of the biggest sports clubs on campus?

Election chances: * * *

Academic

Matt Bailey

As Board of Studies Rep and someone who works closely with Charlie Leyland, Bailey may
emerge as an Academic dark horse.

Election chances: * * *

Ben Humphrys

Current Welfare incumbent Humphrys wishes to extend his experience as a YUSU Sabb to focus on more academic issues.

Election chances: * * * *

Jason Rose

Will Rose’s reputation as Campaigns Officer and attendee at every committee meeting going work as a campaigning advantage?

Election chances: * * * *

Elanin Vince

Will Vince’s role as LGBT Officer with Peter Warner-Medley provide her with transferable skills as an Academic Officer?

Election chances: * *

Student Activities

Rachel Hesselwood

As YUSU Volunteering Officer, will Hesselwood have done enough to secure her chances as Activities Officer?

Election chances: * * *

Luke Malkin

By presenting York Come Dancing and securing a position in RAG, DanceSport President Malkin seems well on his way to securing victory.

Election chances: * * * *

Nick Scarlett

RAG Charities Liason Officer and Mr Kids’ Camp certainly has the passion and the experience – but does he have the support?

Election chances: * * * *

Katy Unsworth

As Alcuin RAG Rep and organiser of this year’s RAG week, will Unsworth’s RAG niche be enough?

Election chances: * *

Welfare

Peter Warner-Medley

This year’s winner of York Come Dancing and current LGBT Officer is seemingly uncontested…

Election chances: * * * * *

Disclaimer: please note that these are predictions by Nouse based solely on who was known to be running at the time; it is not a definitive list.

1. Just for the record – Peter is not running uncontested and I still intend to contest Welfare to the best of my abilities.

2. Rumour has it there’ll be another presidential candidate by the time nominations close.

3. Agh! That photo’s back. So hungover. Goodricke socials seem to destroy me every time.

Yet another pres candidate? that’s going to be an awesome race to watch!

4. That’s not a pleasant photo of me…

5. I heard Phil Walker might throw his hat into the ring for Welfare???

6. 23 Feb ’10 at 8:21 pm

Just so you know

Kate Taylor is definitely not running

7. All of our photos are horrible (and I’m not sure where they got mine from) except Peter’s (which is about as perfect a photo as you’ll get for him)…

8. 23 Feb ’10 at 9:47 pm

Just so you know

The photos were mostly given to Nouse via email by the individuals. However, for many people who are already on the Nouse flickr, such as current non-sabb officers and college chairs, photos were plucked straight from there.

People’s concerns regarding photos is rather amusing. Shouldn’t you guys be more interested in what is written and the ratings? Are York student really so vain as to care what their sabbs look like in Nouse? Also, most of you are all so very well known that everyone knows what you look like in real life regardless…

9. Sorry… I’m kind of new to the YUSU clique.

Can someone please confirm; is ~J, Jason Rose?

And if so, why doesn’t he just write his name?

10. 1)Yes.

2)As a geek I can only guess it is a nod to the fact that under *nix a user’s web space is located at http://server/~username/, implying his username is J. Could be wrong though…

11. Everyone wants to look their best! What’s wrong with that? If it’s good enough for David Cameron…

12. To be honest ‘Just so you know’ I’m just amused at how ridiculously rough I was when the photo was taken, and the fact that I’d forgotten nouse would use that one! (Oh, and Sam D’s murder eyes :P).

13. 23 Feb ’10 at 11:01 pm

Lets be honest now...

“Are York student really so vain as to care what their sabbs look like in Nouse?”

Yes. Without a doubt.

14. thanks for the “murder eyes” :)

15. lol… don’t mention it :P