10:10 campaign launched

The University has outlined plans for how they are going to cut ten percent of their carbon emissions this year, in accordance with the 10:10 campaign.

The plans were as a result of research into the University’s carbon footprint. They include making buildings on campus more energy efficient, as well as introducing voltage reducing equipment in the biology buildings.

The University currently spends over £3 million a year on energy and produces over 20,000 tonnes of carbon emissions.

The University had proposed to cut emissions by around six percent, but have now pledged to cut emissions by ten percent in 2010.

Last year, the University was ranked 35th in University Green League. Gemma Anderson, a member of People and Planet Society, believes that this provided motivation for the University to sign up to 10:10. Anderson believes that by joining the campaign, the University has shown “a true commitment to sustainability”.

David Clarke, YUSU Environmental and Ethics Officer, stated: “The University’s plans are generally impressive but inadequate in areas such as air travel.

“The University must take action on all key sources of emissions in order to honour its 10:10 commitment.”

YUSU has taken similar steps towards becoming environmentally responsible by switching to a more “ethical” banking policy.

Tim Ngwena, YUSU President, confirmed that they have switched their banking services from a non-ethical bank to a bank which is considered to be ethical: “Everything is going over. We have a current account, a savings account and a credit account. It’s all being switched over.”

The bank YUSU currently saves with has been described by People and Planet as “responsible for massive investments in fossil fuel extraction.”

In contrast, YUSU’s new bank has an ethical banking policy in which they don’t invest in “businesses engaged in the distribution of fossil fuels” or “indiscriminate weapons”.

In March 2008, a UGM motion was passed that mandated YUSU to move its accountsto an alternative bank if no changes were made to the bank’s investment policies within a year.

Your:Shop and The Courtyard chip and pin systems are currently bound by contract for the foreseeable future. The changeover to the new bank will be fully completed by the end of the year.

1. How exactly are these the same story?