Polo team ready to make an impact down south

The University Polo Club are preparing to head to Cambridge for an exclusive match-up this weekend

Photographs by Irene Sieberger

Photographs by Irene Sieberger

This time of year can see polo players, like many sportsmen, crawl into the woodwork as the unpredictable weather can make it difficult to train. However, York Polo Club has entered the New Year with lots of anticipation and hard work in preparation for a friendly weekend tournament taking place at the University of Cambridge.

This is the first time York Polo has travelled southwards for an exclusive tournament between the two universities and hopes it will be a successful experience. York is one of the few northern polo playing universities, so we’re eager to make an impression and proudly represent our university and our club.

Club President, Sarah Freites, and Club Secretary, Molly Riggins, have been busy at work adding the finishing touches to the details of the weekend. With much to organise, including where we’ll be staying and how we’ll be getting there, the excitement is building.

“Although it was difficult to arrange a date which suited both universities hectic timetables, it’s very exciting that everything is finally set in place and, for the first time, York and Cambridge are able to compete in a tournament solely intended for them,” said Freites.

“I was really excited to receive the offer from Cambridge University Polo Club to go and play a friendly match on their home ground. It is a fantastic symbol of progression for university polo. Although the sport is a long way off from competitions like BUCS and Varsity because there simply isn’t enough university-wide participation yet, it’s great that clubs are starting to branch out and compete more,” added Riggins.

Polo, 04.11.09, Irene Sieberger

The club will be travelling down on Saturday 27th February and will be ready to play two chukkas that same afternoon. Cambridge has very kindly offered us somewhere to stay as well as a personal tour of the city’s best bars and clubs on the Saturday evening! The Sunday will see us playing the two concluding chukkas of the weekend and heading back to York.

This will be the first competition for our keen beginners who mostly started playing in October and will be a fantastic chance for them to try out their newly acquired skills before the prestigious summer nationals. A total of ten players will be travelling down, all ranging in age and experience but equally determined to represent the best of York Polo’s ability, sportsmanship and spirit.

Polo really is a brilliant spectator sport, so if you fancy watching us please get in touch at [email protected] We always appreciate support from our fellow students and it promises to be a fun and exciting weekend!

1. 22 Feb ’10 at 1:22 pm

guy who should be working right now

Judging from the photos, some of those girls would definitely ‘make an impact down south’ :p

2. With comments like that it’s only so long until somebody ‘makes an impact’ at your face…

:D

3. what a dumb, posh sport

4. 22 Feb ’10 at 5:54 pm

guy who should be working right now

forgive me the immaturity tom but the article’s title was practically begging for sarcasm :p