Eleventh hour Northumbria withdrawal jeopardises UYRUFC title chances

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

In the latest twist to affect the extraordinary BUCS League 1A championship race, Northumbria University seconds have reportedly pulled out of tomorrow’s rugby fixture with York’s first XV.

Although York would receive three points from the walkover, BUCS regulations stipulate that sides are split first on points, then their head-to-head record, and not on points difference as initially believed. Therefore, if Sheffield Hallam beat city rivals Sheffield University on Sunday afternoon, they would claim first spot because they beat York 35-17 back in October and drew 7-7 on the 22 Acres in early December.

The only scenario in which York could snatch the title, and a second successive promotion into Premier B, would be if Sheffield University hold or beat Hallam on Sunday.

Sheffield gave a battling performance here in York on Wednesday afternoon, before succumbing 28-5.

There remains the possibility that BUCS may allow two teams to be automatically promoted, or schedule a promotion play-off between York and the side which finishes second bottom in Premier B.

Nouse will be providing coverage of the conclusion to the League 1A championship over the weekend and in next week’s edition, released on Tuesday.