Walkover to Hallam keeps York in promotion driving seat

Promotion rivals Sheffield Hallam have won their penultimate game of the season by walkover, but a superior points difference makes York favourites going into the final round

Photo: Sam Newsome

Photo: Sam Newsome

Sheffield Hallam have kept the pressure on the York rugby firsts after moving back to to the summit of BUCS League 1A.

Hallam took all three points against Durham thirds after winning by walkover. Crucially this means that they were unable to improve their points difference, something which will likely decide who takes the top spot in the division.

The two sides now sit joint top of BUCS League 1A, with York’s points difference being 15 better than Hallam’s. York play Northumbria seconds in their final league game this Saturday, knowing that the more points they score the more likely they are to win the division. Hallam face Sheffield University firsts the day after. Nouse will bring you all the action in next week’s edition.

Even if they do finish top, the BUCS website states that the two top teams in the division might have to play a promotion playoff to decide who progresses to Premier B.

1. We’re going to be playing Northumbria 2nd’s (not 3rd’s) on Saturday. 2pm on Fortress 22, everyone please come along and lend your support!

2. Apologies for the error, it’s changed now.

3. 19 Feb ’10 at 9:14 am

Luke Malkin-ator

Thanks Tom, but I’ll be Raising and Giving that day in the run up to the election.