Wednesday Round-up: February 17th

All today’s sports results from the University of York

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

It seems that every Wednesday afternoon carries monumental significance these days, and today was certainly no exception. The best hard sell for the prospective students being shown round by those ubiquitous turquoise-shirted guides was most definitely the sport taking place across campus, as relegation and promotion issues moved closer to resolution. Nouse summarises the final scores from a busy afternoon’s action.

The day’s main headline is that, as we all expected, the Men’s Rugby League 1A title race will go down to the wire this weekend. York welcome Northumbria University Seconds to fortress 22 on Saturday afternoon knowing that only a victory will put pressure on rivals Sheffield Hallam, who would then need to beat neighbours Sheffield University 24 hours later to secure the championship.

York did exactly what was required this afternoon, seeing off Sheffield 28-5 with a superb second-half performance. In the first 40 minutes they must have feared that promotion was slipping away as they conceded an early try and were then frustrated by some strong defending. However, an individual try from Gabriel Adebiyi opened up a York lead and a late flourish meant that they were able to increase their all important points difference, with Tom Weir crossing the tryline twice.

The women’s hockey firsts preserved their proud unbeaten record in BUCS Competition this season with a 5-1 home win over Durham University thirds. Fresh from booking their place in the semi-finals of the Cup on Monday evening, they opened the scoring against their North-East opponents and fellow promotion contenders through Emily Lucas. Although Durham equalised with a close-range finish, York took command with further goals from Laura Pepper, Rachael Faustino, Hannah Gage and a penalty flick from Andrea Pisesky.

York 1sts v durham - Peter Iveson - 17/2/10 - IMG_0157

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Having moved above Durham in the standings and improved their goal difference, York now face three consecutive away matches to compete their league season, against Leeds, the current leaders, Northumbria and Newcastle. They are also scheduled to play Sheffield University, of the league above them, in the last four of the BUCS Cup on Wednesday.

The women’s seconds cruised to a 4-0 win over Sheffield University fourths in their final league match of the season, although the game was curtailed after an opposing player suffered a suspected dislocated knee and required hospital treatment.

Not such good news for the men’s sides, however, who both lost on their travels. The firsts are again looking over their shoulder at the relegation places after a 4-1 reverse at Leeds seconds, while the second team were thrashed 6-1 by Leeds fifths. On Monday night, the firsts take on Northumbria in the quarter-finals of the BUCS Cup, with Durham thirds awaiting in the last four (start 6.30pm on the Astroturf).

While one team bolstered their promotion hopes, two others saw aspirations dashed on Wednesday afternoon. The women’s football team were beaten 3-1 by Leeds Met Carnegie seconds on the 22 Acres, with Katy Ballentyne’s close-range strike proving nothing more than a footnote as the visitors, who have now won six from six, strengthened their grip on top spot. York, however, performed admirably for long spells of the game but were unable to convert their chances and were ultimately punished by a Leeds Met side clinical on the counter-break.

The women’s volleyball side suffered similar disappointment this evening but can be proud of their defiant performance in a five-set thriller with league leaders Newcastle University. Twice they led overall, having won the first and third sets, but Newcastle’s class eventually prevailed in a match that exuded everything entertaining about University sport. Alexa Mitterhuber was outstanding for the home side but the efforts of her and the team were ultimately in vain as their hopes of finishing top of League 2B perished.

The men’s team suffered BUCS Cup heartache, losing in straight sets following a mammoth trek to Dundee University.

beth 3

Photograph by Beth Miller

UYAFC’s hopes of silverware took a flurry of massive blows on Wednesday, with all four sides suffering defeat. The firsts went down to a single goal at bogey side Hull University and now trail leaders Sheffield by three points having played a game more. The team were also eliminated from the BUCS Cup at the Humberside University, who took full advantage of their synthetic pitch. The seconds lost for the second time in seven days, 3-2 at home to Newcastle thirds, but they remain top of League 5B albeit having played two more games than nearest challengers Huddersfield.

The thirds also saw their League 6B title dreams knocked back by York St. John in a 4-1 away loss. Hull, whom the thirds had beaten 3-1 last week, are now firm favourites to gain automatic promotion, with York likely to enter an end-of-season play-off. The fourths were lost, 2-1 at home to their counterparts from Sheffield University and now sit third in League 6D.

It was also a mixed day for the Netball Club, with the firsts and seconds going down to defeat in the North-East. The firsts, seeking to leapfrog their opponents and leave the relegation berth in League 4B, lost 26-29 to Northumbria University thirds while the seconds, needing a victory to boost their League 5B promotion ambitions, were beaten 31-38 by Teesside University seconds.

However, on home territory, the thirds survived a late Northumbria fourths fightback to win 43-40 and retain a slim mathematical chance of overhauling Leeds Met at the summit of League 6B.

The men’s badminton firsts steamed into the last eight of their BUCS Cup competition with a 6-2 away win at Sheffield University.