Rachel Hesselwood

Candidate profiles from YUSU Elections 2010

Rachel Hesselwood aims to expand on existing student activities across campus by improving publicity and awareness, and student participation and sustainability of all societies and organisations.

She hopes to raise awareness by establishing a new society stalls area, and by publicising an ‘activity a day’ campaign across campus. Hesselwood plans to expand and encourage already existing societies by establishing sponsorship training, and also by creating a ‘society start up fund’ for new societies.

Other campaign policies include gaining student use of the Heslington East nature reserve, and the creation of a monthly feature in the York Press which showcases student talent. She also wants to ensure the continued success of RAG and YUSU volunteering, and plans to produce an ‘UltraVires Survival Guide’ to keep students updated on charity law.

Hesselwood has considerable experience with student activities in the University; she has been YUSU Volunteering Officer for two consecutive years, has leadership and organisational experience with Girlguiding UK, and has been involved in RAG events, Kids’ Camp and KEEN.