Derwent show their resolve in Alcuin draw

Derwent twice fought back from a goal down to earn a share of the spoils with Alcuin as two College Football heavyweights slugged it out on Sunday morning

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

DERWENT COLLEGE 2
ALCUIN COLLEGE 2

Sunday 14th February

Derwent and Alcuin shared the spoils in an entertaining 2-2 draw on matchday two of this term’s College Football. Alcuin were twice ahead, and played the better football, but Derwent fought back well to earn a point. Alcuin’s skipper Miles McDermott put his side ahead before Joel Hughes drew Derwent level. Joe Cooper then restored Alcuin’s lead before the scoring was completed by Ben Creswell, who leveled the scores at two-apiece.

With a certain sports reporter still recovering from falling over while returning a ball to a neighbouring game, Alcuin started brightly. They earned two corners, the second of which was kept out at the front post by Derwent goalkeeper Roy Moor. Alcuin were passing the ball around nicely, with McDermott on the left wing playing some particularly nice passes.

Derwent, despite not playing football as attractive as their opponents, did pose more of a threat going forward. Chris Barnett was denied only by a great block from Alcuin’s Bradley Wood, before captain Dom Henney couldn’t produce the finish to match his strong run from the back. Ed Lacaille also had an effort on target but it lacked the required venom to beat Michael Wynd in the Alcuin net.

With Alcuin knocking it around nicely but looking fairly non-threatening, they took the lead. A cross from Jack Crane on the right eluded Moor and captain McDermott was on hand to tap it in at the far post. Alcuin nearly went 2-0 up soon after when a nice through ball by Simon Reiss found Cooper but the striker took one touch too many and the chance was smothered by Moor. The same combination was in action moments later when Moor produced a fine save to deny a shot from inside the area by Cooper.

College football - Peter Iveson - 14/2/10 - IMG_0044

Having dropped points here, both teams will be looking to respond next Sunday. Alcuin play Halifax in a match which could go a long way in determining the destination of the title, while Derwent face Wentworth.

Alcuin’s confidence had risen since they had grabbed the opener but Derwent scored an equalizer against the run of play. Some good work by James Beggs led to a nice run by Hughes who finished smartly in the corner to make it 1-1. Both sides exchanged chances before the breaks, with Derwent’s Chris Barnett denied by a nice stop and Alcuin’s Christy Cormac shooting just wide; but at the break the scores remained level at 1-1.

The second-half got underway with Alcuin once again on the front foot. Some nice work by Crane, who managed to keep the ball in on the right, saw a dangerous cross flashed across the face of the goal, but nobody could get on the end of it. Dan Cox played a lovely through ball to Cooper who, despite cries of offside, was allowed to play on but he skewed his shot wide of the far post. It was a case of second time lucky for Cooper who was played through once again by Cox and this time he made it 2-1 to Alcuin.

It had been all Alcuin in the second-half up to this point but going behind seemed to spur Derwent on. One attack coming to nothing as they tried to pass it into the back of the net, after good work from Barnett, and another effort was fizzed just wide, this time from Ben Creswell. Lacaille then had a header stopped before eventually Derwent’s attacking got its reward. In what was a carbon copy of Alcuin’s opener as a cross from the right was tapped in at the far post by Creswell, and parity was restored.

College football - Peter Iveson - 14/2/10 - IMG_0057

Miles McDermott, the Alcuin Captain, opened his team’s scoring against Derwent. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

The final few minutes were all Alcuin, with one moment of drama. Cormac thought he had grabbed his side the winner with two minutes to go but the referee ruled it out for offside. Cormac was not happy with the ref and he made his feelings abundantly clear. The last minute was pinball in the Derwent box with Crane and Cooper both having efforts but it remained 2-2. Derwent captain Dom Henney was happy with his side’s efforts, saying they “battled hard and did well to comeback twice” but Alcuin skipper McDermott was a little more frustrated with the draw declaring that his team “should have put the game to bed” and voicing his annoyance at “letting them back into it”.

In the end the draw was probably the fair result, Alcuin played some fantastic passing football but always looked a little bit susceptible at the back whereas Derwent threatened whenever they forayed forward. Both sides will be looking to get back on track with wins next time out.

1. Despite having a weakened side, our boys pulled off a good performance and a great result. I think this illustrates our strengh in depth.

I can also confirm Tank will NOT be joining us in the summer.

In Henney we trust!!

x

2. I hear Derwent are in the market for a new striker. If you are in charge of transfer policy, can you confirm this Chris?

3. You guys in the media love asking me this! Ok… for the last 3 seasons we have really only had one out in out striker but Lacaille has produced the goods time and time again. Dutch and Barney also do a world class job up there, and as you have seen today we bang them in from midfield too. I believe we can win this league based on our solid defence, its unlikely we will be buying. I’ll leave that to the likes of Alcuin and Hewitt and Vanbrugh.

However, if the right player at the right price comes along, who knows.

4. When has Lacaille ever produced the goods?! No pace, pointless skills, lack of goals for the 1s.

5. Chris, it seems that you’re very much hands on when it comes to transfers. Do you allow Henney any say in the ins and outs at Derwent?

6. Games are 2pm this Sunday

7. Televised again?! College footy’s going up in the world! lol.

Steve Miller for Prez! lmao!