College Football Round-up: Halifax hit eight

An 8-1 win over Wentworth demonstrated Halifax’s determination to retain their College Football crown on Sunday morning

Photographs by Peter Iveson

Photographs by Peter Iveson

Mark Lund led by example as Halifax installed themselves as favourites for a second successive College Football crown on Sunday morning. It was a Valentine’s Day massacre on the 22 Acres as hat-tricks from Lund, the Captain, and Jack Beadle set Halifax on the way to an 8-1 win against Wentworth.

Having belatedly opened this term’s league with a 1-0 success over Vanbrugh last Sunday, courtesy of Lund’s second-half penalty, they kicked on with a rampant performance, going top of the standings outright and boosting their goal difference, a factor which could prove significant in this truncated competition.

Halifax were further boosted by Derwent and Alcuin, their main title challengers, taking points off each other in an entertaining 2-2 draw. Derwent showed their mettle to twice come from behind; initially through Joel Hughes after Alcuin skipper Miles McDermott had opened the scoring and also in the second-half as Ben Creswell equalised Joe Cooper’s strike.

“We battled hard and did well to come back twice,” said Dom Henney, the Derwent Captain. McDermott, his counterpart, was more frustrated: “We should have put the game to bed. They shouldn’t have been let back in it.”

Elsewhere, Vanbrugh beat James 5-3 in a classic encounter which offered excitement at every turn. Taking advantage of some generous James defending, Vanbrugh established a four-goal lead inside 40 minutes through Phil Taylor’s brace, the first a penalty he earned himself, Ali Prince and Dan Hewitt.

College football - Peter Iveson - 14/2/10 - IMG_0143

However, two goals just before half-time, from John Carroll and Mark Johnson gave James a glimmer of hope. After both sides spurned a hatful of second-half chances, Vanbrugh added a fifth through Prince before Alex Collins headed a late consolation for James, who were playing their first match of the competition following the abandonment of last Sunday’s match with Alcuin.

In the day’s final game, Goodricke and Langwith drew 2-2. Next weekend, Alcuin square up to Halifax in a game which will provide plenty of clues as to the destination of the championship, James face Goodricke, Derwent play Wentworth and Langwith will tackle Vanbrugh.

1. 14 Feb ’10 at 8:12 pm

Barry Venison

Why does the Goodricke/Langwith match not even mention the goalscorers?

2. Because the reporter was too hung over to bother going to such a humdrum match.

3. 14 Feb ’10 at 9:01 pm

Spectacle Snaffler

At least the reporter bothered getting out of bed…

If anyone would care to enlighten us to the goalscorers, then please comment below

4. 14 Feb ’10 at 10:32 pm

Ali Benabaria

I find all this talk about league titles daft given the lack of matches teams eventually play due to weather. Why not have 1 league over the two terms? This would (a) make the final table more meaningful is showing who the best college is and (b) be a bit more prestigious.

5. I was too hungover to get out of bed, let alone go to the match. I can assure you that it was with great regret that I missed the replay of last term’s classic and will be covering all four matches simultaneously next week to compensate.

Apologies to all involved.

Ali, I agree with your point but does it really matter? Everyone knows that the real champion of the year is the college cup winner and one league over two terms might mean that matches were played less regularly even if the weather was good.

6. Why not have league one in Winter, the College Cup in Spring (any remaining fixtures from winter being completed as well) and league 2 in Summer?

7. 15 Feb ’10 at 12:23 am

Peter Atherton

I don’t think that would work particularly. I don’t see what’s wrong with the current system really? You still have to beat the team in front of you.

8. Re – Peter Atherton.

The pitch ends up looking like no man’s land under two consecutive terms where it’s subject to wank weather.

9. 15 Feb ’10 at 10:53 am

Ali Benabaria

It’s true that you do have to beat the team in front of you but it’s not uncommon for the best teams not to meet and prove which one is better. In terms of fixtures, everyone plays each other twice over the two terms and in the cases where only one fixture against a team happens, it would count for double points.

10. It is merely a fixtur issue I would like to avoid, largely because I enjoy playing!

11. 15 Feb ’10 at 1:35 pm

Christian Negouai

Even if we did it over two terms Halifax would still be 6 points ahead now. At least doing two different leagues can keep the lesser teams motivated.

12. 15 Feb ’10 at 3:00 pm

Ali Benabaria

I don’t think winning the league is something that motivates sides like Wentworth, they just enjoy playing on a sunday morning. Halifax would be 6 points ahead and that would fairly reflect how good they’ve been. But they have played Wentworth twice and have yet to play Alcuin all season.

13. I’m pretty certain that most college footballers, while they all (Wenty included) go out to win, would just like to play every week. As for Wenty, if we are gonna miss games, I would rather get some of the easier fixtures in against the likes of Vanbrugh, James and Goodricke, than only getting a run out against Halifax, who really were fantastic on Sunday, from front to back.

If nothing else, I would like to see the posts left up and the pitches marked out this Summer so colleges can at least play the occasional friendly.

In fact, seeing as though each college does in essence pay for the admittance to the college football league, teams should get a free quota [of pitch usage this Summer] equal to the number of games they have missed.

14. Rumours reach us that Rotherham are preparing a bid for the mercurial Lund…

15. However… Halifax Director Football Eamonn is reportedly also being hunted by Rotheram…