Men’s Lacrosse earn comfortable cup progression

The University of East Anglia await our lacrosse boys in the next round after they eased past Stirling on Wednesday afternoon

Photograph by Peter Iveson

Photograph by Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 11
UNIVERSITY OF STIRLING 6

BUCS Cup Last 32 – Wednesday 10th February

York’s men’s lacrosse team sealed their place in the last 16 of the BUCS cup and a trip to glorious East Anglia with a comfortable 11-6 win over Stirling firsts today. They fought hard against the bitterly cold elements and a competitive Stirling side but looked comfortable throughout. Captain Benedict Robinson had a fantastic game in goal while vice-captain Rob Coslett also enjoyed a brilliant performance.

Stirling had the better of the opening exchanges, winning the first face-off and heading up field ominously. Stirling’s Jim Huntingdon, their talisman throughout the match, shot just wide before teammate Malcolm Kent’s shot narrowly cleared the bar. It wasn’t long, however, before the visitors did take the lead with Paul Tracey netting the game’s opener.

York came straight back at Stirling and soon after Phil Harold was denied only be a good save from Jon-Paul Charles in the Stirling goal. Paul Crowley Jr then got his first of five goals on the day to level the scores and immediately the home side seemed to settle down. Some nice passing around the Stirling ‘D’ led to Gareth Thomas of Stirling receiving a one minute sin-bin and York pressed forward in an attempt to take advantage of their increased numbers. The only action during the one minute sin-binning however was Stirling’s Huntingdon receiving a blow to the most precious part of a man’s anatomy. With him bent over in pain it was one of those scenarios where everyone except him found it very funny.

Stirling went back on the attack but York’s ‘D’ pressure was fantastic, forcing the away side to lose possession. Harold, whose pace was a constant menace to the visitors, then put York into the lead but straightaway Stirling leveled arrears when Tracey grabbed his second of the game. With the game being predictably end-to-end there was a lot of focus on both side’s ‘keepers and York’s Robinson was winning the personal battle pulling off one of a string of stops when the scores were tied at 2-2.

Lacrosse v Stirling - Peter Iveson - 10/2/10 - IMG_0038

Benedict Robinson, the York Captain and goakeeper, held the upper hand in his personal battle with the Stirling forwards, his saves an important factor in this cup victory. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

York then grabbed the initiative. An error by Charles let Coslett’s effort creep in at the near post to put York in the lead for the second time. A rapid breakaway then left Coslett one-on-one with Stirling’s ‘keeper but he couldn’t convert, shooting straight at Charles. Before the end of the first quarter, however, York did extend their advantage to 4-2 when Crowley Jr grabbed his first of the game. York had been the better side but with only a quarter of the game gone the talk in the team huddle was of not getting too excited, and keeping focused.

By the end of the next quarter York were officially on top. They went in 7-3 up at the half-time interval thanks to some efficient and clinical lacrosse. Once again though it was Stirling who started better. With James Menon sin-binned for a minute York saw their advantage halved as Kent netted for the visitors; a slightly fortuitous goal, it rebounded off both post and keeper before it found its way into the net. After Menon was sin-binned again York went on the offensive and managed to bag themselves three more goals before the quarter was up. Two more from Crowley Jr and another for Harold gave York a comfortable cushion going into the third quarter.

Stirling’s team talk seemed to once again have a positive effect as they came out in the third quarter all guns blazing. Another goal for Coslett, following some great running by Harold, effectively ended the game as a contest but nobody seemed to tell Stirling as they carried on pressing in the vain hope of getting something out of the game. Their perseverance was rewarded with a fourth goal in the shape of Robert Hetherington who finished off a strong run by slamming powerfully into the corner of the net. Crowley Jr’s fifth of the day meant normal service was resumed and with one quarter left to play it was 9-4 to York.

Lacrosse v Stirling - Peter Iveson - 10/2/10 - IMG_0072

York finished sixth in BUCS League 1B, but have specialised in cup competitions. As well as today’s progress in the BUCS Cup, they are also through to the semi-finals of the NEMLA League Trophy, their weekend competition. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Hetherington, seemingly buoyed by his first goal, went on to add another at the beginning of the final quarter to give his side a glimmer of hope but any trace of an opportunity back into the game was stamped out as Krishna Balan got his name on the score sheet to make it 10-5 to York. There was still time for Hetherington to grab his hat trick and an 11th goal for York as the game ended 11-6 to the hosts. Captain Robinson singled out the performances of Rob Coslett, James Menon and Phil Walker, declaring it a “fantastic performance” and adding that “recent training sessions have paid dividends and it was great to get the Freshers on”. Robinson will hope for more of the same from his side in the next round as they look to progress to the Quarter-finals.

1. 11 Feb ’10 at 11:58 am

J whittingham

That fresher James Menon sounds like a liability?
    XxX

2. It seems that fresher James Menon isn’t using 3rd year James Menon as a role model.
    Third year Menon would never be sin-binned.

3. Apologies about that, I’ll get it changed.