Chris Etheridge switches position to run for D&S

It seems I spoke too soon. Much to OTR‘s satisfaction, we should have one more contested race come Week 8, as former suspected Student Activities candidate Chris Etheridge has chosen instead to run for Democracy and Services, setting him up against former Goodricke Chair Dan Walker, it has emerged.

Etheridge’s candidacy change comes just after Student Action Chair Rachel Hesselwood threw her hat into the Student Activities race, bringing the total expected candidates breifly to five.

Currently YUSU Campaigns Officer with Jason Rose, Etheridge was previously set to take on Nick Scarlett, Luke Malkin, Katie Unsworth and Hesselwood, but now looks likely to square off against Walker for Lewis Bretts’ position, with nominations opening a week today.

OTR has heard that Etheridge – after discussions with SA incumbent Rhianna Kinchin – felt his experience was better suited to the demands of D&S. Etheridge, much lauded for his time as treasurer of both York Tories and Politics Society is likely to push his work as Campaigns Officer as strong experience of the inner workings of YUSU, the University, and event organisation.

Hesselwood’s candidacy adds some much-needed oestrogen to the general election landscape, and with her Student Action experience she will certainly have the knowledge to run a strong policy-focused campaign. In terms of taking votes from other candidates, Nick Scarlett will have been expecting strong Student Action support, and Katie Unsworth’s RAG backing might suffer a little. Likewise, Luke Malkin will now have to fight for the Vanbrugh vote. Scarlett and Unsworth, from Halifax and Alcuin respectively, are likely to get a strong boost from their colleges, IMO.

Scarlett’s campaign, run by the veteran election machine Tom Flynn, is off and running already, OTR has learnt, and the man himself told me that it was shaping up to be “lively” – whatever that means. Expect the usual (and, it must be said, successful and coveted) Flynn tactics, I’d imagine.

In other news, a few candidates have spoken to OTR regarding a possible rise in the value of the candidate budget sanctioned by YUSU for campaign spending. Returning Officer Bretts was unable to confirm or deny this rumour, but I reckon any significant increase in permitted spends would be met with resistance by those that would see it as a possible barrier to entry. Maybe someone with influence wants more shiny posters? Watch this space.

And finally, just in case you had sat for hours watching YUSU Officers playing with Elmo and talking about all the exciting things they get to do all day, thinking it would actually be entertaining, here’s the bloopers reel.

There’s still lots of playing with Elmo, but thankfully a lot less talking. And it’s not an Oli Lester special, so the YSTV fun-spongers won’t need to complain to YouTube again. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZu7REB3Vqg

Gossip and rumours to [email protected]

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author who is not a member of the editorial team, and should be treated as such.

1. 8 Feb ’10 at 5:58 pm

Caroline Brown

Henry I want you to write about my YorkSport Candidacy I feel unloved.

2. “watching YUSU Officers playing with Elmo and talking about all the exciting things they get to do all day”

And Non-Officers :D

3. I sincerely hope that the expenditure doesn’t go up (but heard the rumour too). The situation is already loaded against those who have fewer campaigners or rich parents and we know that Mad Cap’n won due to massive amounts of support from campaigners and others won more recently due to spending more than opponents..! Boo, Lewis.

4. “The situation is already loaded against those who have fewer campaigners ”

That’s like saying the election result is already loaded against the person with less votes. If people are excited about your campaign they’ll get on board and help you. That’s democracy.

And thanks for the compliments HJF (I’m loving this blog as a whole), but Nick very much has his ‘personal’ stamp on the campaign…

5. That’s not true at all. Campaigners are people who you know before you run the election campaign. People who are excited about your campaign during the week itself will vote and tell their friends but are not official campaigners. Unless you announce candidacy officially and have lots of friends, you’re hard done by. You have good contacts; I have good contacts; Jane Smith The First Year probably doesn’t and it shouldn’t affect her chances. Democracy is about the student body choosing the person who is best for the job, not the person who they’ve heard of the most. And it’s the area that YUSU needs to improve the most – so damaging it further isn’t going to help that.

6. 9 Feb ’10 at 8:27 am

A. Catsambas

What on earth do richer parents have to do with anything? It’s not as if the budget will go up to a thousand pounds!
    A.

7. lewis looks hilarious with that elmo at 16sec. he has no idea what to do with it!.lol

8. 9 Feb ’10 at 10:06 am

Political Analyst

Looks like a very strong sabb race this year in all bar two positions. Lots of very different candidates with very different strengths and weaknesses.

President:

Ngwena: Good term this year, experienced, fusion, will surely run a great graphical campaign again.
    Levene: Experienced, good policies, Labour support (also a hinderance)
    Powell: Halifax, Popular, Lively
    Hutchings: Alcuin, Loud
    Freckleton: Entrepuenarial Soc, Ingenuity

Democracy and Services:

Etheridge: YUSU Experience, Money experience
    Walker: Goodricke

Welfare:

Warner-Medley: LGBT, Langwith

Academic Affairs:

Rose: YUSU Experience
    Humphreys; YUSU, LGBT
    Bailey: Experience, Chemistry

Student Activities:

Scarlett: RAG, YUSU Volunteering, Cheesy Pop Soc, Flynn
    Hesselwood: YUSU Volunteering, Vanbrugh
    Malkin: Fusion, York Comes Dancing, URY
    Unsworth: Alcuin, RAG

York Sport:

Asfaharni: Langwith, York Sport, General Popularity
    Shergold: Nouse, Knowledge

Any chance you could run a blog on part time officers so we have an idea who’s going for YUM, LGBT, RAG, YUSU Volunteering etc etc

9. ”Democracy is about the student body choosing the person who is best for the job, not the person who they’ve heard of the most.”

News flash for you: democracy is a popularity contest. Now, I’m not talking about the American High School model of popularity contest but think about it – the person with the most votes wins. Votes = show of support = show of popularity. If people don’t know who you are, they probably won’t vote for you.

Democracy – power to the people – is about letting people make the choice about who lead or represent them. It does not tell them how they have to make their choice. If they want to vote for their friend’s friend or the pirate, let them.

In short, democracy is not a fair system but it is the best we have (thanks Churchill).

10. “That’s not true at all. Campaigners are people who you know before you run the election campaign.”

Who choose to get involved because they like your ideas, and think you’ll do a good job if you get elected. It’s exactly the same.

11. 9 Feb ’10 at 11:12 am

A mildly cynical view

Whilst it would be nice to believe that campaigners join because they like your ideas, that’s not true for the majority. Campaigners join because they want the candidate to win, whatever their policies are.

And on the subject of popularity/recognisable names, I don’t think mainstream national level politics is the best comparison. Because campus is a lot smaller, it’s a lot easier to get your name out there. I for one find it really irritating over the months before an election when I see sabb candidates adding hundreds of friends on facebook (‘7 of your friends are now friends with Sabb Candidate A’) or appearing in performances carefully arranged to be around election time.

This is just to use an example, not to attack one of the candidates, but it’s hard to imagine that deciding to present York Come Dancing was exactly unrelated to a future election campaign. I can’t blame him, but it’s just a little silly that presenting a dancing contest could be one of the principal factors in a political election.

‘Popularity’ is probably the wrong word as well. ‘Recognisability’ is probably closer since it’s foolish to claim that all 1000 (ish) people needed to be elected know a candidate personally.

12. 9 Feb ’10 at 12:58 pm

A stronger cynical view

Hosting York Come Dancing was one thing, it put his pretty face on the map. However, to join the RAG committee weeks before the election, in an attempt to deflect Scarlett’s fan base is, in my opinion, low. Perhaps if Tory boy hadn’t switched fire to D & S, the Conservative Party would have been one member up. One with much dancing talent. On that note, was Tory boy afraid of the competition over at Student Activities?

13. 9 Feb ’10 at 2:51 pm

Miles Sinclair

Chris has certainly not changed because of the competition for student activities. As the article says his decision was based on the fact that in reviewing his experience, he seemed much more suited to Democracy and Services.

He’s been Treasurer of two societies and obtained extremely good budgets for both, organised Christmas and Summer Balls, organised non-partisan cross political charity walks which have raised over £5000 in total and has further experience as YUSU campaigns officer. He was even in charge of a large budget as Chair of his Sixth Form Council.

To refer to him simply as ‘Tory Boy’ is unfair. Although part of the Conservatives, Chris has always made a huge amount of effort to involve all political views in his work.

Anyone who knows Chris well, will know just how committed he is to everything he undertakes. He can often be seen running around campus, doing one job or another. If he is elected he will be totally committed to the job, and unlike many others, would not stop until he has fulfilled his campaign pledges.

14. 9 Feb ’10 at 3:09 pm

A stronger cynical view

Miles – I actually like Tory boy and will be voting for him. He will get the job done, I’m sure of that. Like you say, this is in contrast to others at present. Tory boy’s record speaks for its self, he has proven his worth with some great achievements in many areas at this University. The crux of my argument before was more a rant at other candidates attempting to makes lots of friends in order to win the popular vote.

15. To refer to Chris as ‘Tory Boy’ is not only unfair, it is misguided and discriminatory. Chris is as far from the Conservative stereotype as one can possibly get. Trying to put a partisan label on him will not work, and any such attempt will most likely backfire. The same applies for David, Jason and Ellie, all of whom are open-minded individuals who are mature enough to be able to work with people that they don’t always agree.

16. 9 Feb ’10 at 3:57 pm

I spy with my little eye

Chris Etheridge has some fantastic policies for both positions…

17. 9 Feb ’10 at 5:10 pm

A stronger cynical view

George – why are you getting a cock stand about the name ‘Tory boy’? It’s actually just you that misunderstands. Clearly I was referring to his role as a leading figure in the society and not him fitting the mould of the Conservative stereotype. It’s more of an affectionate name than anything. Please be careful what you infer, that can have dramatic backfiring consequences too. Again, I would like to stress my support for Tory boy, or (just for George) Chris.

18. Back in the golden age of YUSU, what I like to call the “Croker” years, you would often see potential sabs turn up to all kinds of meetings, nightclubs and campus events. It’s as if they suddenly realise a true affiliation to charity work or cheesy nightclubs in the penultimate term of their third year, completely coincidental to their YUSU ambitions, of course.

This year is no different, with the unfortunate exception that there isn’t as many campus events for them to canvas as there used to be. Make Planet V, Club D and Goodshack four times a term again!

19. Thanks to the mildly cynical view above for agreeing. Candidates join because they are your friends, owe you one or want you to win and generally join before they know your key policies; whilst some may campaign for you because they like your policies, they’re likely to do it simply because they like you.

And in terms of democracy always being a “popularity contest” – I have no doubt of that. The difference is that popularity should be caused by thinking that they’re the best person for the job and not simply because you have only heard of one candidate or have heard of them “more”; recognisability is not necessarily quality.

20. Surely the music in the background of the YSTV clip (Mr Blue Sky by E. L. O.) is copyrighted? Anyone got the number to Youtube’s litigation hotline?

21. My apologies, I hadn’t seen your last comment. I guess I should be using the refresh button more often.

22. 9 Feb ’10 at 8:39 pm

A stronger cynical view

No need to apologise mate, just wanted to confirm I am on Chris’s side! I cant imagine anything worse than Dance Sport conscription for all students next year…..

23. “Candidates join because they are your friends, owe you one or want you to win and generally join before they know your key policies; whilst some may campaign for you because they like your policies, they’re likely to do it simply because they like you.”

Maybe you need some better policies Jason ;-)…

24. It’s not even a matter of policy, but of how well you advertise your policy (ineffective/unlikely to happen as that may be), as we saw during the last elections!

A.

25. Flynn; I’ve been asked by about 5-6 people to campaign for them and not one told me their policies. Ergo it’s not about policies :P

And it’s not often about even advertising policies – sure certain popular policies won votes but Rhianna’s “Special K” wasn’t a policy and is still remembered. I voted for her based on policies but I suspect that a reasonable number of people didn’t but voted on “visibility” and “nonRoryness” instead. And I’m not being harsh to the voting populace here – we’ve got the highest turnout in the UK and as a result many of the people on the fringes won’t see all of the candidates.

26. Jason, YUSU wasn’t in the top 3 HE unions last year for voter turnout. Exeter, SOAS and Kent (possibly others) did better and YUSU actually dropped in turnout compared to the national trend of a roughly +1% increase (sorry for being a pedantic twat).

So you would campaign for someone without knowing their policies? For all you know, their policies could be in direct contrast to your beliefs and how are you going to help students make an ‘informed’ vote if you don’t know how to inform them?

27. ALL HAIL TORY BOY!!

28. Jason; who uses the word ergo anymore?!

I still disagree – Lewis only had about 4 people helping out before the campaign, and only when it got going did people come aboard and start helping out. People who he didn’t even know, because they liked his policies (which has nothing to do whether they’ve been put into reality of course).

Ergo, it can be about policies.

Ergo, stop using ergo.

29. It’s all getting a bit ergo-tistical down here…

30. I wish I had an ergo-nomic keyboard to type these posts on

31. 10 Feb ’10 at 2:28 pm

OFFICIAL STEVE MILLER CAMPAIGN TEAM

BREAKING NEWS: Steve Miller will no longer run for President, as he is quite fond of Tim. So the campaign says: “Go Tim”

However, he will now be running for the job of DEMOCRACY AND SERVICES.

After intense debate within the campaign team, we have come up with a list of policies and actions that we believe that will secure their votes.

1. Will NOT say he will put a fruit and veg store on campus

2. Will NOT say he will put a pharmacy in Market Square

3. Will NOT be your Obama

4. He WILL dress up as a pirate, smurf, or any other fancy dress in order to win the election. He will then not wear it during term time as it is ‘unprofessional’, although he can dress up for special occasions such as birthdays, Christmas, New Year etc

5. He will NOT pretend to be a breakfast cereal

6. He WILL bring a ruthless, disciplinarian regime to YUSU and whip all other sabbs into shape

7. Will NOT form his own propaganda department for a student election like his competitors (Pete Campbell cough cough)

8. He WILL rename the Courtyard the ‘Brettsyard’ in honour of his predecessor

This 8 point plan is by the students, for the students. Join the campaign at:

http://www.stevemillerfordemocracyandservicesatyorkuniversityuk.org

Join the revolution. Change you can believe in.

32. Thanks Gene. Source for HE turnout?

“So you would campaign for someone without knowing their policies? For all you know, their policies could be in direct contrast to your beliefs and how are you going to help students make an ‘informed’ vote if you don’t know how to inform them?”

I am not campaigning for them. My point is that they have asked without policy knowledge and I know that it was the case last year too. Presumably therefore it is the norm and since I know many candidates have chosen position after getting campaigners, I assume policies come after that..? I didn’t say that I am one of those, however, and I am not.

Ergo, even though it’s not always the case, it often can be. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I wish I could work out how much energy I expended typing this with an ergometer.

[ For more ergo words, see http://www.morewords.com/starts-with/ergo/ ]

:P

33. 10 Feb ’10 at 4:48 pm

OFFICIAL STEVE MILLER CAMPAIGN TEAM

http://stevemillerfordands.blogspot.com/

Apologies for the error in the previous post.

Upholding democracy. Providing a service. Miller 2010. Change is coming….

34. @a Mildly Cynical View (& others)
    “…not to attack one of the candidates, but it’s hard to imagine that deciding to present York Come Dancing was exactly unrelated to a future election campaign. I can’t blame him, but it’s just a little silly that presenting a dancing contest could be one of the principal factors in a political election.”

Malkin’s presenting YCD was just the tip of a massive iceburg of the work he put into organising the event. His choice to present the show may have helped his recognisability; but his organisation, communication, dedication and charisma cannot help but outshine the twisted slant your appear to have put upon his involvement in a minor part of a very successful charity event. Speculation of this sort seems rather unsporting, when the candidate clearly has more to offer.