Clinical Derwent frustrate wasteful Goodricke

A first half goal from James Grey gave Derwent victory over Goodricke in the first round of College Football League fixtures this term

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

DERWENT 1
GOODRICKE 0

Sunday 7th February 2010

A first half goal from James Grey gave Derwent an early scalp in this term’s College League today, as they beat rivals Derwent 1-0.

Against the run of play Grey picked up an inch perfect pass from Ben Smith and beat the keeper to give his side the lead. It was perhaps harsh on Goodricke, who had been the better team in the early stages.

After the game, Derwent captain Dom Henney praised his side for a “professional” performance. Despite Goodricke dominating possession – particularly in the first half – and creating chances throughout, their inability to finish off their moves as well as some staunch defending from Derwent meant they were unable to find the equaliser.

Their best chances came in the largely uneventful second half, where the pace dropped from the high tempo of the first and the poor quality of the pitch began to affect the flow of the game. Derwent twice cleared the ball off the line, firstly when a Dave Coupland free kick deflected off the wall and secondly when the ball was headed towards the goal from a corner kick.

It was a difficult day for Coupland, the Goodricke captain. In the first ten minutes he caused the defence problems but each time was unable to get a clear shot on goal. Goodricke’s best opportunity in the opening stages came when his brilliant pass narrowly missed Ed Silson in the box. For the remainder of the game he was unable to break through the defence and had to resort to ambitious shots from distance, with Steve Walwyn and captain Dom Henney playing excellently at the back for Derwent.

For the rest of the half Goodricke pressurised but remained vulnerable to the Derwent counter attack. Ben Creswell could have doubled the lead had he not attempted an ambitious volley and sent his effort over the bar. At the end of the half Smith again found Grey in the box but this time he could not hit the target.

In the second half strong play from both defences and the deterioration of the pitch meant that the sides enjoyed fewer chances than in the first. Goodricke began to appear frustrated and, as the tackles got stronger, players from each side came close to blows. Goodricke had two penalty shouts after some strong tackles in the box but the referee signalled for the teams to play on both times.

In the dying moments Coupland was again found in the box but, with his back to the goal, was unable to get the shot in. It was a move that typified what had been a frustrating day for Goodricke. For Derwent this was a good win in a difficult fixture and, with the lack of games currently being played, one that will boost their chances of winning the College League this term.

Goodricke line-up: Edward Foster, Niall Walsh, Matt Whelan, Chris Grayland, Sam Astbury, Adam Leadbeater, Josh Barker, Alex Stewart, Ed Silson, Dave Coupland (c), Oli Hanlon Subs: Adam Botterill, Douglas Lawson

Derwent line-up: Roy Moore, Nav Jabarkhyl, Steve Walwyn, Dom Henney (c), Greg Gardner, James Matthews, Ben Smith, Matt Hallam, Alex Cooper, James Grey, Ben Creswell Subs: John Pinkstone, Paul Ward-Jones

1. 8 Feb ’10 at 10:30 am

John Pinkstone

I still have Coupland in my pocket.

2. Let him out now Pinky, he’s been sat down for long enough! I’m just trying to find space in my trophy cabinet for this title. In Henney we trust!

3. 9 Feb ’10 at 2:54 pm

Barry Venison

It would have to be a deep pocket to accommodate his beautifully coiffed bouffant.

4. Just a heads up, kick-offs are at 11am this Sunday

5. Thanks for that. We’ll be there.