Might Ellie stick it to the guys?

If there’s one trend in election rumours this year, it’s the head-scratching absence of female candidates. So far, there’s only been one female seriously linked with a campaign, and that’s would-be Student Activities challenger Katie Unsworth. But that might be set to change.

For all Off The Record‘s digging, and a certain YUSU Sabb’s cajoling, there only seem to be male candidates eyeing runs at the other two positions, Academic and Welfare Officer, leaving Unsworth well and truly in the minority. More on that below.

If this is the extent of the candidates, and there are no major surprises emerge in the other four races between now and declaration day, there is a very strong chance that all the 2010/11 Sabbs will be male. Yeah. You read it here first.

Yet, there may be one person to buck this trend. If the gossipers are to believed, soaring through the electoral air with a big girly cape, Women’s Officer Ellie Kuper-Thomas is set to fly the flag for the ladies against Tim, David and the rest of the boys currently scrapping for the top job.

There’s no word from her right now regarding any kind of definitive race, but she’d certainly be sticking to her Women’s Officer commitments if she attempted to emulate Anne-Marie Canning, Ffion Evans, et al. And what’s more, as one of only two females pitching for an officership, she could certainly bank on a sizeable female vote from the more apathetic students on campus.

She’s won cross-campus ballots before, has proven to be a successful Officer this year, and has a good reputation among her fellow Officers this year. OTR reckons that if she did hand in her nomination form, she’d have a very good chance of securing the votes.

That aside, challenges to Peter Warney-Medley’s desire to succeed Ben Humphrys, who held his position of LGBT Officer last year, do not seem to be materialising, though OTR did speak to a would-be female rival who has decided to postpone her YUSU ambitions for a year.

Right now, Academic Officer looks like race between two, three or possibly four male candidates, depending on other races. Jason Rose, borrowing from the David Levene school of timing, declared his candidacy very early, and now looks, if rumours are to be believed, to have been joined by Chemistry student Matt Bailey in the race for Charlie Leyland’s seat. OTR has also heard of a potential challenge from a fourth-year Computer Science student, though he is yet to formally declare any intentions publicly – and some are still betting that potential Presidential candidate Oli Hutchings – a former Economics Board of Studies Rep. – may well yet switch to a bid for Academic Officer.

There’s also rumours of a incumbent switching positions in an attempt to get 12 more months in YUSU Towers, but more on that in the next post.

Gossip and rumours to [email protected]

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author who is not a member of the editorial team, and should be treated as such.

1. She won’t run for two reasons:

1) She doesn’t have enough female friends to pass a good majority, and lets face it with her rottweiler approach to womans welfare no self respecting man will vote for her.

2) No balls

2. 4 Feb ’10 at 9:48 pm

Thoulalallalalala

No balls? Anatomically accurate, certainly. I’m pretty sure Ellie could secure a good female majority, though perhaps the job of president wouldn’t be her cup of tea?

3. 4 Feb ’10 at 10:03 pm

Rosie Riveter

Obviously we won’t be revealing any details about the campaign until Week 8 but be sure we have some amazing ideas. The girly cape is being made as I type…

Rosie,
    EKT’s Campaign Manageress

Note to the editor: Ellie Kuper Thomas not Ellie Kuper-Thomas

4. 5 Feb ’10 at 1:59 am

A self respecting man

Steve, shut up. You clearly haven’t met Ellie. Now be good and go back to reading Nuts and scratching your arse.

5. No self-respecting man would vote for her? Glad that the infamous “Steve Peate” has told me or otherwise I might have just gone with the years of working with her and finding her a fantastic colleague who treats men with more respect than you obviously treat her. But now I’m going to just have to vote for all the men. Obviously.

6. Steve, with all my respect, you are being a dick.

In any case, I think Ellie is highly unlikely to try to ruin it for David – maybe she’ll go for welfare instead? Also, what’s up with that fourth-year computer scientist? I thought that the only people in my year who had ever shown any interest in student politics were me, Aris Catsambas, James Thompson and Chris Northwood. With Aris being in Cambridge, Chris in Sheffield and James in IBM, this leaves us with me – and I’m not gonna run.

7. self respecting man Achim is that you. youve got to stand up to her or it,ll never end and jason do some work in lectures and put your soddin laptop away

8. IT’S GONNA GET MESSY IN HERE TONIGHT!

The bodies are burnin’,
    The wheels are turnin’,
    My butter is churnin’,
    And there ain’t no way round.

turn it to MY station, BABY!

9. We can only hope not. Having an SU anachronistic in its size, expenses and view of its proper mandate is bad enough, but having it run by an aspiring Harriet Harman-esque outmoded feminist zealot really would cast a poor reflection on the quality of York’s student body. “Women’s committee” is an anachronism in itself, another relic of the benighted days of student socialism and idealism, and I can’t imagine that Ellie and her coven who strut and fret their hour on the campus stage as a poor man’s Polly Toynbee would display any more restraint in the top job than in “WomCom”.

Not that this should matter at all, but she’s a fan of Ken Livingstone. Surely this alone should deter the reasonable, moderate majority who vote in YUSU elections from supporting her.

10. 7 Feb ’10 at 7:45 pm

Anonymous Massive!

Anonymous Massive! has been Massively persuaded by anon and Steve Peate’s tiny willies

11. 7 Feb ’10 at 8:54 pm

Where do they come from?

A supporter of Ken Livingston?! Goodness me. That would make her as unreasonable and immoderate as….well the electorate of London I suppose.

Feminist zealotry? You mean like running rape-awareness campaigns and calling for better lighting on Walmgate stray? Dispicable.

As for idealism?!! Well, there’s no certainly place for that.

I’m sure the reasonable, moderate (and pleasant?) majority of York students would far rather vote for the kind of people who think it’s ok to go around calling the Women’s Committee “a coven”.

You really have to wonder what it is about a campaigning women’s committee that brings these reactionary, knuckle-dragging trolls, twitching and spitting from out of their swamp. Where do they come from?

Why not say something positive for once in your life – go on I dare you.

Or better still run for office yourself. I’m sure you could expertly garner the bitter and sociopathic vote.

12. Oh no, not Harriet Harman, Polly Toynbee and Ken Livingstone! Not being compared with several successful left-wing politicians! Hiding behind an anonymous veil and launching tirades against the ideology of a successful YUSU politician is a bit sad, especially since Ellie did a lot with WomCom to combat general welfare issues (which are obviously covers for her massive Germaine Greer-inspired mission to eliminate all men) :-\

13. I hereby decree that henceforth Woman’s Committee shall be called WombCom.

14. I would be remiss if i didn’t make a comment on the title, she can stick it to me as long as she lets me return the favour waaaaaaaay

15. Stick it in her i meant, you all got it.

16. she is fit for a les…. ser politician

17. 8 Feb ’10 at 6:45 pm

A. Catsambas

All these comments are very mature…
    A.

18. Ellie says to leave her alone or else she will eat your children.

19. Some of these comments are pretty outrageous, and I’m surprised they’ve been allowed to remain up here.

Besides, Ellie’s amazing! She’s approachable, friendly and one of the most reasoned, convincing advocates of women’s liberation I’ve ever met. Women’s Committee is as open and inclusive as it’s ever been, which has alot to do with the outstanding job done by her and Amal. I’m pretty sure Ellie’s not running for President, but she’d probably have my support if she were.

And I’m a man, not that it matters.

20. 9 Feb ’10 at 11:11 pm

A stronger cynical view

I agree with Steve. She does not have balls, thats a huge disadvantage. The election is going to be tight – candidates must go balls deep to stand any chance

21. 10 Feb ’10 at 3:02 pm

Dungeonkeeper

I accredit the grandiloquence of one’s suppositions to the extent by which one takes an incandescent stance towards their inhabitance. One may feel that such a predilection may attenuate the tenacity of bombastic rodomontades, although such needlessly aureate magniloquence is often an emblem of precariousness self-esteem, and so one sabotages their endeavors simply aggrieving exorbitantly about the calibre of their composition.

22. I hope the above comments aren’t representative of the student body. I think York’s better than that.

23. In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant and vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.