Shergold and Asfahani set up tight York Sport race

In the BLUE Corner: Adam Shergold
In the RED Corner: Sam Asfahani

It’s like celebrity deathmatch, but with real people.

These two heavyweights have, IMO, officially announced their intentions to run for York Sport President in March despite speculation linking them with candidacy for other positions.

Observers both within York Sport and elsewhere had previously suggested that Shergold was likely to run for Academic Affairs Officer, while Asfahani had also been linked with the Academic job as well as Student Activities and Welfare.

I’d bet a certain Mr Rose is somewhat relieved.

While other candidates are likely to emerge, IMO this may well be a two-horse race from now on.

Shergold, a Nouse stalwart, and a popular figure with both YUSU and the majority of sports clubs, was awarded Lifetime York Sport Membership last year, and won a YUM award for his Roses coverage. He’s not on the YS Committee, but might as well be – numerous members of the Committee have told me that his work in publicising results, fixtures and achievements is invaluable. Despite that, the one blotch on his copy-book is his failure to win a seat on the YS Committee last year.

Asfahani, former Langwith JCRC Chair, York Sport Development Officer and Mr American Football, boasts more YUSU experience due to his YS committee position and his JCRC responsibilities on Union Council, and has seen his Centurions go from strength to strength this year.

York Sport, or AU President races so often come down to getting out the club votes. Last year Emily Scott drew on a strong Hockey base and her general popularity amongst York’s clubs to defeat her opponents, and in 2007 Jo Carter derailed a former AU Vice-President’s bid for promotion with a grass-roots campaign targeting sportsmen and women.

This is where the other contenders might be able to spring a surprise, much like Alex Lacy did in 2008, IMO. Rob Newton, Hockey President is apparently lining up for a run at succeeding his predecessor Scott, and Matt Thomas, YUSnow President, certainly would have a strong club backing if the rumours about him deciding not to run are proved false.

York Sport poster-girl and Tournament Secretary Izzy Miller has allegedly decided not to run – a decision that may well be based on the huge amount of work she’ll need to do in organising the upcoming Varsity and Roses tournaments.

It’s a close one to call. Shergold certainly knows more club Presidents, and is a household name with the players that check the Nouse website for results and write-ups. He’ll also strong support from within York Sport itself. But Asfahani has a club at his disposal, has experience at campaigning – and winning – during elections, and would most certainly be able to bank on strong college support from Langwith.

Will Asfahani bring the wood on Shergold? Will Shergold’s pen prove mightier than the Centurion’s sword? Was that a pun too far?

Tackle-pads and notebooks aside, right now this is the race to watch.

Gossip and rumours to [email protected]

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author who is not a member of the editorial team, and should be treated as such.

1. 1 Feb ’10 at 3:08 pm

Steve Miller

These are top lads. I’d vote them in any day.
    Adam & Sam, I’ll welcome you to the YUSU team with open arms.

2. 1 Feb ’10 at 4:30 pm

Interested student

Adam Shergold would be fantastic in any position.

However, York Sport is a waste of his talents.

He would be a fantastic Academic Affairs Officer and should run for that.

3. Adam Shergold grinds coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his own rage.

4. 1 Feb ’10 at 5:00 pm

Victor Ubogu

Google asks Adam Shergold for information it can’t find

5. 1 Feb ’10 at 5:09 pm

Vanessa Perroncel

Adam Shergold once ordered a Big Mac from Burger King, and got one.

6. 1 Feb ’10 at 5:20 pm

Aaron Liming

Adam Shergold is always on top during sex because he never fucks up

7. Another year of Sam? I’d rather have another year of Ben Humphrys (even as YorkSport President)

8. Shergie FTW!

9. Sam Asfahani has a loud voice and lots of opinions. I think ‘heavyweight’ might be a bit generous. Looking like an interesting race though.

10. 1 Feb ’10 at 9:05 pm

Ernie Goldberg

Shergold is sheer gold.

Not really, he’s a big-headed *twit* who *flips* grannies.

Commented edited by moderator.

11. 2 Feb ’10 at 1:33 am

Ernie Goldberg

Aw come on mod that’s not fair.
    You’re a *flipping* waste of *spice*, and you need to get a *loaf*. Obviously you’re licking *Hoi-Polloi’s* *armhole* too.

12. I’d want someone who knows what’s it like to play sport at Uni, run a club and is on the YS comittee rather than someone who is just a very good sports writer.

Plus I hear Matt Thomas is one of Asfahani’s main campaigners…

13. 2 Feb ’10 at 11:01 am

Cheesey Pop Soc

Hey guys,

We welcome all existing YUSU clique members, potential YUSU clique members and even failed YUSU clique members. So remember, enjoy the election and don’t stress over the campaign too much. You can always use us to improve your campus status and as an excuse to come back when you’ve graduated (other options include MAs, PHDs or campus employment).

14. American Football is not a sport.

15. 2 Feb ’10 at 1:39 pm

Cheesy Pop Soc member

Why are you having a go at Cheesy Pop Soc?

16. 2 Feb ’10 at 2:10 pm

another pedant

“other options include MAs, PHDs or campus employment”

How about an MSc, MEng or MPhil?

17. Maybe all Shergold does is write about university sport. But through this he has built a knowledge of how university sport is run, the players in each team and their overall success. The guy has an extensive knowledge spanning across a wide variety of sports.

Even when it’s pissing down on 22 acres he’ll be there!

Shergold for York Sport President!

18. 2 Feb ’10 at 7:01 pm

Cheesy Pop Soc

@Cheesey Pop Soc, at least learn to spell Cheesy Pop Soc.

And yes, Cheesy Pop Soc does welcome all members of all ‘cliques’. However, as we are not yet a recognised religion, we do not recommend Cheesy Pop Soc as a lifestyle choice. We encourage MAs, PHDs, MScs, MEngs, MPhils and even campus employment. We also encourage running for YUSU positions.

19. Cheesy Pop Soc may well not *yet* be a recognised religion, but we have been officially blessed by a Bishop. Fact.

20. 2 Feb ’10 at 8:40 pm

Piers Morgan

Everybody loves Raymond. Except Adam Shergold.

21. Adam Shergold once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now just known as the Islands.

AWOOGA!

22. Just a point for some of the negative comments above… American Football is a pretty hardcore sport and building something up from scratch into a nationally formidable team is pretty darn impressive. I’m not saying Sam’s ahead but you can’t knock his background. Being a national coach, having York Sport Committee experience and coming from a club-running background are likely to mean he has a large amount of knowledge and will be able to relate. Shergold will have a wide variety of knowledge about the runnings of different teams, problems encountered and potential alternatives from various coverages of things.

But there are about 2-3 more that even *I* have heard of for this one and I’m not exactly sporty. Remember Emily Scott could rerun if she wanted, too, and has had a pretty successful year after having been Roses Best Player and everything else last year. And why would I be scared when I’m running for D&S?

23. 3 Feb ’10 at 9:59 am

Shergie's Biggest Fan

Adam Shergold counted to infinity. Twice.

24. 3 Feb ’10 at 10:03 am

I love the Shergmeister

Adam Shergold’s so great, even God calls him “God”.

25. Caroline Brown is running for York Sport President.

SHe has played tennis, done RAG and dressed up as a snail for one night out at Gallery last term.

She has some great policies, however is allergic to most things and may struggle with the polyester based materials she is likely to come into contact with.