Wednesday Round-up: 27th January

This afternoon’s scores from matches involving the University of York’s sports teams

Action from the rugby seconds' exciting win over Newcastle this afternoon. Photograph by Sam Newsome

The men’s football firsts unbeaten sequence, dating back to the opening afternoon of the season, lies in ruins this evening after a 2-1 loss at Hull University put paid to their ambitions of a trophy treble. While the result means an exit from the BUCS Cup at the last 16 stage, the firsts remain in an excellent position to claim the BUCS League 2B championship and also the Northern Universities League, in which they return to action this Saturday with a home fixture against Leeds Met (kick-off 2pm on the 22 Acres). Next Wednesday, they host Sheffield, with an opportunity to climb to the summit of the BUCS League.

Better news for the rugby firsts, who hammered Durham thirds 36-3 on the road to keep in touch with league leaders Sheffield Hallam, who beat Northumbria 28-17. The gap remains at three points, though York have the chance to narrow this to just three should they beat Liverpool at home this Saturday afternoon (kick-off 2pm on the 22 Acres). The seconds, playing at home, saw off Newcastle fourths 46-27 for a third successive league victory to keep up the pressure on York St. John and Sheffield Hallam at the top of League 3B. The thirds, finally, were defeated 31-17 by Bishop Burton College.

There was double BUCS Cup delight for the Hockey Club, with the women cruising past Varsity rivals York St. John 2-0 and the men thrashing Sheffield University fourths 7-0 away from home. The women made easy work of their visitors, despite them playing one division further up the BUCS system, goals from Frankie Hall and Rachael Faustino early in each half enough to take them into the quarter-finals.

York 1sts volleyball v LJMU - Peter Iveson - 28/11/10 -IMG_0372

Action from the volleyball today, where the men’s team saw off Liverpool in four sets. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

The men’s volleyball side rounded off their campaign with a 3-1 home win over Liverpool John Moores. In an entertaining match, the hosts recovered from losing the first set 27-25 to dish out a lesson to their opponents, coming through to win the next three in impressive fashion. Last week’s walkover against Hull had mathematically secured their place in Division 1A, but, as Captain Joshua Chipman acknowledged afterwards today’s result showed that they are not out of their depth in this elite division. The scheduled women’s game against keele was postponed.

York’s women’s football team recorded their second league win of the year, beating Leeds University seconds 2-0 away from home. The sides meet again on the 22 Acres next week. The men’s football seconds, meanwhile, remain on course for the title following a 2-1 home win over Teesside fourths.

The women’s tennis and badminton teams both bowed out of the BUCS Cup against opposition from Leeds today. The tennis side were overwhelmed 10-0 by Leeds University seconds, while the badminton ladies lost 5-3 to Leeds Met thirds.

In the best of the day’s other sport, the men’s basketball side also took their leave of the BUCS Cup, beaten 55-80 by Northumbria seconds in the evening games. The women’s lacrosse firsts completed their league campaign, a 9-2 away win against Newcastle ensuring a mid-table finish. The men’s squash firsts eased through into the quarter-finals of their BUCS Cup competition with a 3-0 away success at Sheffield Hallam seconds. Newcastle seconds, at home, await them in the last eight.