Up and coming events

The Norma Rea Gallery open its doors for another term this week

As is painting, so is poetry
The Norman Rea Gallery open its doors for another term this week, beginning with an exhibition exploring the relationship between the written word and visual communication in depth.

Showing over 10 sets of artists from big time animator Dave Prosser to Urban Outfitter’s concessions The Nous Vous Collective, this eclectic show includes sculpture, painting and even magazines. At the same time, the work is unified by the central theme and a common aesthetic, which transcends the miscellany. As is painting, so is poetry runs till Friday 12th February above the Courtyard.

100 years of gifts
An exhibition celebrating the centenary of the Contemporary Arts Society opens this February at York City art gallery. Highlights from art collections around Yorkshire have been donated to the Gallery for the duration of the show, including works by acclaimed artists, David Bomberg, Sarah Lucas , Gillian Wearing and William Roberts.

Sculpture, photography, painting and works on paper are all included in the show which will compare and contrast styles of contemporary art during the last 100 years. 100 years of gifts will be on display at the City art gallery between 6th February and May 3rd 2010.

The Sun in the Cellar
Take in some home grown talent at the Drama Barn Week 3, with The Sun in the Cellar both written and directed by Drama Society’s own Tom Vickers. The end of the world has been and gone. Yet underground protected against a ruined atmosphere, the last of the elite survive beneath an artificial sun.

The aristocratic Angeline hides a huge secret: reserves which could help rebuild civilisation. The discovery of which throws her three servants, Edmund, Aurore and West into a moral struggle, with dire consequences. This weird and wonderful sci-fi fantasy will not disappoint.

Rent
RENT is the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning musical by the late Jonathan Larson. It follows a year in the lives of a group of young, impoverished artists living on the brink in downtown New York.

Taking inspiration from Pucciniʼs ʻla Bohèmeʼ, RENT is a tale of love, friendship and creative struggle, addressing issues of HIV/AIDs, drug abuse and poverty.

Furthermore, RENT’ is about solidarity among a group of young people who are finding a calling in life, a theme very relevant to student audiences.
RENT, directed by Drama Soc chair Joe Hufton and produced by Polly Ingham, runs between the 11th and 13th February in Central Hall.

1. Dear All,

Central Hall Musical Society would like to clarify that RENT will in fact be performed in… Central Hall!!

For more info go to http://www.rentyork.co.uk

All the Best
    The RENT Production Team