Q&A: Katherine Alexander

Katherine Alexander is the talk of the town with her eye-catching hand made cuffs. A self confessed anglophile, she was obsessed with the post-punk scene in London in the 80s, and the freedom to dress “mad as a hatter” inspired creativity. Katherine has worked her way through the fashion world, from being a designer’s PA to a stint at Harpers and Queen and then on to freelance styling. She is now managing and buying for an independent Notting Hill boutique called Yates Buchanan and making her jewellery during her time off. Every piece is unique, mixing new acrylic with vintage finds, meaning the wearer has complete ownership of the look.

Do you find it hard to source the vintage embellishments?

I wouldn’t say hard to source, but time consuming. It’s also taken time for me to really know when a piece is right for re-working, both technically and aesthetically, and so I try to marry what I think people will like and what I find interesting.

Describe the process from conception to reality?

Now that would be giving it away… I can’t reveal my techniques verbatim, but I will say that each cuff is made with integrity. I have to use skills that require patience, detail and time, (three hours minimum per piece from start to finish).

Perfect outfit to accompany one of your cuffs?

Literally anything. I think there’s a cuff for anyone who likes to accessorize, but high profile people include Kate Moss and Helena Christianson. Both have such great taste and style and I would be proud to adorn them with my jewellery.

Do you have any future plans or new lines in the making that we should look out for?

Loads: my mind is way ahead of me. One thing I’d like to produce is a belt similar to the cuffs. I made one that I wore to an event and it had a great response, but it will need some technical tweaking first.

Grazia has recently featured you, which I assume was very exciting. Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years time?

I have a few prestigious shops that I aspire to being seen in, and marketing myself properly is one of my goals this year.

Have you ever sold anything and regretted it?

Yes, one cuff that had press and then sold. It was made with a fur stole clip, the kind they wore in the 1920s – 1940’s. It was a big, chunky graphic piece with the rich reds of a pomegranate and I miss it, but I hope someone’s enjoying it somewhere..