News in Brief

A round-up of other happenings in the world of sport at the University of York this week

College football was again postponed this weekend. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Frustration as College Football again cancelled

The Spring term College Football League has still yet to see its opening fixtures as doubts persist about the quality of the pitches. Despite matches in the football seconds league getting underway on Wednesday afternoon, heavy rain on Friday left the 22 Acres unplayable ahead of the weekend. Defending champions Halifax were scheduled to meet Goodricke and Derwent were set to face Vanbrugh in the day’s stand-out fixtures.

Boat Club faces dilemma over Roses/BUCS clash

The presence of rowing at Roses has been put in doubt due to the event clashing with a BUCS fixture in which both York and Lancaster are competing. Boat Club President Ashley Haycock said that the event is one of “only two for BUCS each year” and that with “only one trailer for boats and no university towing vehicle” there was no way of sending a squad to both. The club have contacted Lancaster about rescheduling the event for as early as week 10 this term but have not yet had a response.

Football firsts to contest opening day defeat

The University Football Club are considering lodging an appeal with BUCS after it emerged that Sheffield University fielded an ineligibe French exchange student during a fixture in October. The 1-0 away defeat remains the team’s only loss of the season to date.

1. The pitches were NOT unplayable

2. Hope everyone stayed in bed. Again