Emily Scott

announces the new plans for Varsity at the end of February

The ice and snow of the ‘Big Freeze’ have finally melted away, leaving behind plenty of soggy fields, but allowing sport at York to resume for the second term of this academic year.

This term sees the end of the BUCS season for many of York’s teams, with a number pushing for promotion or hoping to stave off relegation but the highlight of the term is the return of the annual Varsity tournament against York St. John.

To avoid a repeat of last year – when the tournament had to be cancelled due to a backlog of BUCS fixtures – we have made the potentially controversial decision to hold the tournament over a weekend. So whatever you do, don’t go home, book a romantic get-away or go fishing with your Dad during the weekend of week seven (Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th February) as York is the only place you should want to be!

The tournament will be starting on Friday night with a small-scale event in The Courtyard and then the sporting action will be kicking off down on the River Ouse at 1.30pm on Saturday afternoon. The rowing races will take the form of a punishing 1km course between St Peter’s School and York City Boat Club. There will be about eight races in total, and it should be well worth a trip down to the river to watch!

Saturday afternoon will also see swimming action in Archbishop Holgate School from 4-6pm. This will see the aquatic titans of the two York universities go head-to-head and take to the water in a variety of races, some of which are bound to result in nail-biting finishes.

Then onto Sunday, which is going to be the main sporting day, with twenty-eight different fixtures taking place on campus. The Sports Centre action is going to kick off bright and early at 9am with Badminton in the Main Hall.

Outdoor sports will be getting underway at 10am with Tennis, Hockey on the Astroturf and Rugby over on 22 Acres. 11am sees the start of the Netball matches in the Tent, with the Volleyball starting at 12noon. The last sport to start is Basketball with a 1pm tip-off. There’ll be plenty going on, so please make sure you get down and support York Uni’s teams!

The other one to watch out for over the weekend is the Climbing. This is going to take place at Oaklands Sports Centre and will be a great chance for the Mountaineering Club to prove their steel against York St John.

After all the matches are finished, the prize-giving and closing ceremony will take place, beginning at 6pm in L/N/028. Once the Varsity Cup has been awarded, the closing event will be taking place going into town and ending in Gallery. Look out for tickets for this one; it’s sure to be a fantastic night!
Hopefully the whole weekend will be a great affair and a good warm-up for Roses, which is taking place across in Lancaster this year at the end of week one next term. And of course, let’s hope the University of York can claim victory in Varsity once again!

>> Nouse will be offering comprehensive online coverage of Varsity 2010 over the weekend of February 27-28.

1. Hi Emily :)